Preventing rot on the rear arches

So some will have seen the post on fb about a potential future problem with rot on the rear arches :

Cleaning the arches towards the rear lip ( where the bumper meets ) should be a regular thing for everyone. Next time you do have a good feel around and check the seam sealer for any soft spots. Every Clio I've had dealings with now seem to suffer with this soft spot. While cleaning the arches in this ly ( 57 plate with 26k from new ) I noticed that the sealer had split. After peeling back the sealer I was surprised how far I could get my finger in without resistance from any bonded sealer ( at least 2inch ). This was the same with my old albi blue and many more I went to see prior. As this ly is going for a full metal respray on the underside it won't be a problem, as for others it could be as clio's are notorious for rotten arches.

My advice is check for cracks/ soft spots, my old albi was the same and hopefully prevented this one with a thick layer of wax oil. Pics can be provided if anyone needs to see :wink:.

See the pics ( sorry for the poor quality ). You can just see the cut in pics, once opened up I could get my finger right to the lip on the arch :bored:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 99
Dont know what clio youve been looking at, but clios arent known for rusty arches.

I've seen many a 172/182 with rust on the arches. I didn't say that any 197s had, hence the title PREVENTING !