Power expectations from near standard 197 set up

Drop the weight, depending on how extreme you can drop from 20ishkg to 100kg if you were really extreme. Wheels, take rear interior out and lightweight battery are all options.

Does anyone know if the 197s have the large weight they used to in the 172/182?

Drop the weight, depending on how extreme you can drop from 20ishkg to 100kg if you were really extreme. Wheels, take rear interior out and lightweight battery are all options.

Does anyone know if the 197s have the large weight they used to in the 172/182?

In the engine bay.....the ant vibration type weight ? Yes......i believe they do.

Plus a whole load of tar-type sound deadening in roof and on the floor which i gather is quite weighty.

In the engine bay.....the ant vibration type weight ? Yes......i believe they do.

Plus a whole load of tar-type sound deadening in roof and on the floor which i gather is quite weighty.

Not sure, I saw a photo showing the size of the 172 one and a description saying it's in front of the offside front wheel. Looked like it weighed a ton!

Lots of potential to remove weight, just how far you want to go.

Very heavy! i've just stripped it all out of mine and the bag in the end must of weighed 3 bags of sugar!!

Reactions: sevenfourate
Very heavy! i've just stripped it all out of mine and the bag in the end must of weighed 3 bags of sugar!!

So i've read before.......thats worthwhile. Messy job ? (Some freeze the stuff - so it breaks into pieces and comes out 'easier')

Standard bag of sugar is 1kg or 2.2lbs.

Ah, I was thinking 500g for some reason. Lots of weight to save. Meanwhile, today I saved about 20 grams by removing some rubber tubing in the engine bay connected to the acoustic valve and blanked it with a silicone bung, its a real built not bought race car now :laughing: :tearsofjoy:

I can get get the weight of the car down if I wanted, I got the Impreza to 1068kg but I want to keep the Clio as a Road car for now. Does anyone have a WHP figure from a dyno run on a fairly standard set up. I would have thought somewhere between 10 and 20% loss on a front wheel drive car would be normal.

I can get get the weight of the car down if I wanted, I got the Impreza to 1068kg but I want to keep the Clio as a Road car for now. Does anyone have a WHP figure from a dyno run on a fairly standard set up. I would have thought somewhere between 10 and 20% loss on a front wheel drive car would be normal.

More like the 20% transmission losses i'd guess.

Most motorbikes are 8-10% and they have far less moving mechanical parts in the drive-train.

The Impreza was 551HP at the wheels 680HP at the Flywheel so that's around 20% on a 4 wheel drive car so would be a lot less in a front wheel drive car

Mine makes 201bhp and 165ftlb on a very accurate and respected rolling road.
You can get them down to around ~1100 no doubt less. Mitch at Proline Motorsport really has gone to town on one not too long ago to get the weight right down. He was chatting about it on Facebook.

So i've read before.......thats worthwhile. Messy job ? (Some freeze the stuff - so it breaks into pieces and comes out 'easier')

I really thought it was going to be hard work! I bought 2 cans of 500ml pipe freeze in B&Q (£15 each), removed my seats and sprayed the pipe freeze in little areas (10cm x 10cm) few taps with the hammer and it cracked off! My reaction was ''Yesssss! this isn't as bad as I thought'. I had all the tar of the floor in 30 minutes....

I then left the mess on the floor and went to tackle the roof... got the misses hair dryer and heated up an area (5cm x 5cm) started to peel it off using my hands, I carried on heating then peeling. Not once did I use scraper/screwdriver/pipe freeze on the roof, just the heat and my poor thumbs! Took me an hour to get it off the roof.

Then I grabbed my bottle of Auto Finesse ObliTARate, sprayed it all over the sticky 5H1T on the roof and left for five minutes, came back to a stinky car and used the scraper to scrape the mess off.. 10 minutes and it was done. I repeated this on the floor once I had swept/vacuumed the mess up.

P.s sorry I got carried away with my storey. lol

Reactions: Big Ben
Guys this thread is about power and weight etc I personally have don even the lightening thing many times so maybe it would be a better idea to have seperate thread based on weightbsaving that would be useful to others.

Guys this thread is about power and weight etc I personally have don even the lightening thing many times so maybe it would be a better idea to have seperate thread based on weightbsaving that would be useful to others.

Do you know how many ''power'' threads are on this forum!? You've obviously not searched...
There is absolutely no point in remapping a standard engine that has no mods like you say... Renault claim 200bhp but they never make that on the rollers. You'll be lucky to see 190bhp if that. With an exhaust and filter you'll still be lucky to see 197bhp.. Get ya wallet out if you want power!