Possible prob?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've noticed on my 197 that if I sit and dry steer the car a bit, the revs drop and the lights dim slightly, and the heating fan slows down, as if the car's about to stall. It will do the same if I let the revs drop quite low and then dip the clutch. Is it supposed to do this? Seems wrong to me? Also my fuel computer randomly reset itself the other night! Vive la France!

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've noticed on my 197 that if I sit and dry steer the car a bit, the revs drop and the lights dim slightly, and the heating fan slows down, as if the car's about to stall. It will do the same if I let the revs drop quite low and then dip the clutch. Is it supposed to do this? Seems wrong to me? Also my fuel computer randomly reset itself the other night! Vive la France!

Its because of the steering pump drawing additional amps from the alternator which puts more strain on the engine. As there is next to no torque at idle then the revs drop and its noticable. Its nothing to worry about and you will find a lot of cars do it - I know mine does if im parking etc!

Oh and gorgeous avatar pic mate!

not good for your tyres steering when stationary.
as for the fuel computer resetting itself thats a new one, the joys of French electrics

Its because of the steering pump drawing additional amps from the alternator which puts more strain on the engine. As there is next to no torque at idle then the revs drop and its noticable. Its nothing to worry about and you will find a lot of cars do it - I know mine does if im parking etc!

Oh and gorgeous avatar pic mate!

good reply - but its not a "pump" the steering assistance is by electric motor - hence the drop in the voltage when being used at idle

good reply - but its not a "pump" the steering assistance is by electric motor - hence the drop in the voltage when being used at idle

Ah rite TBH I thought it was hydraulic assistance. Either which way its run by a motor lol!

Ah rite TBH I thought it was hydraulic assistance. Either which way its run by a motor lol!

yes mate purely electric - some older motors used to use an elctric motor driving an hydraulic pump for power assistance but this seems to have gone out of favour:001_rolleyes:

yes mate purely electric - some older motors used to use an elctric motor driving an hydraulic pump for power assistance but this seems to have gone out of favour:001_rolleyes:

Lol you learn summat new everyday! Cheers mate!

I thought there might be a sensor to tell the engine to raise the revs a bit, like there is when the aircon comes on. Yes you are right, dry steering is evil anyway!!

I stole the avatar pic so can't claim credit for that! Thanks for the replies.

I thought there might be a sensor to tell the engine to raise the revs a bit, like there is when the aircon comes on. Yes you are right, dry steering is evil anyway!!

I stole the avatar pic so can't claim credit for that! Thanks for the replies.

it will have idle speed compensation for differing loads on the engine - but this wont be enough to put power back in the battery by the alternator as they usually need 1100rpm + to really up the charge voltage and of course this cold weather makes it worse !