Possible alarm unit fault Clio 200

stuey

Gold Member
Hi all. I have had a fault develop at the weekend where my hazard lights started going off on their own. I could switch them off, but after a few minutes they started again. After getting some advice from here and Two Techs, I have checked the passenger side multi plug which is clean and dry, and the scuttle panels are clear. I tried to get the alarm to go off, which I couldn't and the remote deadlocking wasn't working properly either. Having located the alarm unit in the boot, I disconnected it and all functions have returned to normal including the hazard lights and central locking. The immobilizer is still working too.
I am going to try and get a replacement Renault 7887 module which I have been told is made by Cobra.
Has anyone else had this problem in the past?
Cheers

It could be an aging battery that needs to be replaced. I had this problem recently and even though the battery appeared to work fine with starting and using the car every now and then the hazards and the alarm would go off.

All Renaults have odd problems when the battery starts to go.

A new battery should be about £70?

The battery is fairly new and it turns over fine. Everything seems to work fine with it disconnected.
I have just spoken to Renault UK who do not recognise the part number 4B7887R1A which is printed onto the casing, and is identical to all of the other pictures I have seen. They also said they do not make parts for cars older than 10 years. The best they can do is give me a link to another Renault forum.
So basically if I went to a dealer, they would diagnose a possible unit fault and then turn me away.

I have checked the battery with my DVM. I have 12.4v at rest after a few hours since last running, 14.3v with engine running and 12.8v after turning off the engine.
I'm not saying it couldn't be the battery, but I had none of these issues when the original battery died which was obviously struggling and about to give up.
I have also spoken to a Cobra dealer (Cobra made the original units I believe) and said there would be no spares for such a unit. So it looks like second hand unit or aftermarket alarm

Reactions: burrellbloke
I've currently got that same issues as you. Sent of my body control module BCM to be checked and it is functioning fine. Will need to try disconnect the alarm like you did (I assume just unplug it?, white connector if I remember correctly) although I thought I did try this already.

I replaced my battery with a new one as mine was on the way out and that didn't help.

There is a multi plug which connects the loom to the alarm unit. After I reconnected the battery this morning, the hazards were flashing and could not be switched off. As soon as I disconnected the alarm multi plug, the hazards stopped flashing. Everything seems to work fine now including the hazards, all lights etc. When I plugged the alarm back in to test my theory, the hazards started again. The alarm unit is now out of the car.
What I do next, not sure!!

I just got my BCM back today. Plugged it back in and unplugged the alarm. If that’s the issue I’ll just be leaving the alarm unplugged. Still got an immobiliser at least

Reactions: stuey