Possible gearbox problem?

I have a 60 reg Clio 200 Cup on 55k. I think it may have a gearbox problem - essentially there is a varying rolling 'bearing' noise when warm. It varies with revs and is sometimes there, sometimes not, only noticeable in 6th and sometimes very noisy.

It sounds exactly like a dodgy clutch release bearing, apart from the fact it goes away when the clutch is dipped, whereas it would be the reverse if it was the clutch release. The fact it goes away when the clutch is dipped also rules out me mistaking a dodgy wheel bearing.

Any ideas?

Chris

I seem to have the same thing in mine. Squealing bearing type noise with the clutch out, soon as press clutch it goes.

Been diagnosed as the clutch release bearing/slave cylinder.

Having new clutch and slave fitted Monday next week.

I added a video to my thread here - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?53068-New-noise-developed-under-the-bonnet&highlight=

ETA: also no issues with gearbox, selection is normal, car drives fine just a case of squeal when clutch is out. seems to stop once the revs are above about 1500 and doesn't happen in all gears, at least not that I can hear.

Last edited:
I seem to have the same thing in mine. Squealing bearing type noise with the clutch out, soon as press clutch it goes.

I added a video to my thread here - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?53068-New-noise-developed-under-the-bonnet&highlight=

ETA: also no issues with gearbox, selection is normal, car drives fine just a case of squeal when clutch is out. seems to stop once the revs are above about 1500 and doesn't happen in all gears, at least not that I can hear.

Met a friend in Chippenham with a 197 who had the same problem. It's an uncommon thing, but certainly not rare.

Im still confused - my understanding is that if it was the clutch release bearing you would only get the noise with the clutch depressed?

My understanding was that when pressure is applied via the pedal, pressure is put on the clutch release bearing which stops it squealing. When it's spinning freely with no pressure via the pedal, the level of friction, or lack of friction causes the noise.

^^ That could be completely incorrect though, I'm no mechanic :smile:

Last edited:
Im still confused - my understanding is that if it was the clutch release bearing you would only get the noise with the clutch depressed?

When you press the clutch pedal it forces the clutch to disengage the gearbox, this puts pressure on the release bearing and the load will squish it all together quieting the bearings. When its in its resting position the bearings can just rattle around in their casing... hence the noise.