Porsche Boxster

Anyone have any experience with these? Not really looking to get rid of the 197 as I still love it but I just found out that the 2.7 litre version isn't much more expensive to insure than the 197! And as long at it's pre march 2006 the road tax is only about £25 more per year too!

It's Pants compared to the Sports (3.4l), it's very under powered & you'll be getting every Scooby blasting past laughing at you and then every 911 owner looking down at you.

For the money I'd go with something like the 350Z or 370Z(if there now cheap enough) or imported Infiniti G35/G37 much nicer coupe's and can be tuned.

Poor mans Porsche IMO. I couldn't ever get one as they have the connotation of 'I haven't done as well as I hoped in my career'. I don't know if that opinion is shared by others, but it is my view.

Also they aren't exactly quick cars... I know :wink:

Poor mans Porsche IMO. I couldn't ever get one as they have the connotation of 'I haven't done as well as I hoped in my career'. I don't know if that opinion is shared by others, but it is my view.

Also they aren't exactly quick cars... I know :wink:

I wouldn't have one either because of that image though if i had the chance to drive one for nothing now and then I wouldn't say no ( can't really can I, I nick Lisa's 500 too often to care about manliness :lol: ).

The 3.4 sounds great too.

Can you stretch to a Cayman S...Megane 250 money ;/

So the 2.7 isn't great then and the 3.4 is good. What about the 3.2 which is found in the slightly older ones (~2005)?

I was looking at them because they're a poor mans porsche lol! I can't afford a 911 and I'm not ashamed of that because I'm only 22 years old. And even though they are a poor man's 911 they're still meant to be a proper porsche and better than pretty much everything else at that price point.

They were only good as they had no real competition at the time - mk1 TT, Z3, old SLK and that is it really. They were all deadly in their early guises, the TT in particular. When the likes of the Z4, 350z, new SLK et al. came out the Porsche was soon knocked off its peg.

Don't take my word for it though I would recommend driving one and make your choice based on experience. Things to consider are insurance and servicing costs...

So the 2.7 isn't great then and the 3.4 is good. What about the 3.2 which is found in the slightly older ones (~2005)?

I was looking at them because they're a poor mans porsche lol! I can't afford a 911 and I'm not ashamed of that because I'm only 22 years old. And even though they are a poor man's 911 they're still meant to be a proper porsche and better than pretty much everything else at that price point.

If you wanted to save a few pennies, maybe look at the earlier shaped (986) 3.2S, its maybe not as up to date as the newer 987 variant but its not a million miles behind. Ignore the "poor mans Porsche" image, they really are a great, well balanced mid engined sports car and loads of fun for the money, especially with the hood down (just not around town or you will feel like a c@ck!). Dont go for a loud guards red or speed yellow, something more like a a seal grey and it will almost blend in, you might even get let out at junctions..:smile:

I used to work for the Porsche club and also a Porsche mag for about 4 years so got to go out in all sorts of crazy 911's. All I'm saying is dont dismiss the Boxster as they are great fun and good VFM.

Personally I don't mind them at all, I'd even have on myself. BUT they have to be spec'd right. I know someone with a light blue one with tan interior he bought new years ago and its rotten!

I know people look at them and think you "oh you couldn't afford a 911". At least you can afford a Porsche, what is everyone else driving?