piston wont retract

Hi guys,

Im trying to replace rear pads. I've taken the old ones out, but I can't get the piaton to wind back. I span it a couple of times with some pliers but no luck so bought a tool from halfrauds. It's spun quite a few times now but wont go back? Could it be seized??

Help!

I had the same problem mate and it gave me massive headaches. The problem is you need a substantial amount of pressure on the face to wind them in.

The only solution for me was to completely remove the caliper from the car and then with it resting on the floor apply your full body weight from above it and turn at the same time. You'll know when it's retracting as brake fluid will piss out :smile:

Job done! It just took some brute force and a few more turns with the piston winder! Happy they're all sorted now.

They were a wreck before, one pad I took off in pieces because it was so correded on! All greased now though, but I'll leave the fronts till next week now..

Foxspeed you seem to be the guru on this type of stuff, how easy/hard are the front brakes to for new pads? I was thinking today that winding back all four piston on each corner must be a real ball ache!

Fronts are a hell of a lot easier than the rears! But only once you get the calliper pins out! There's a good possibility that the pins will cone out all mangled and bent, so best to buy some replacements. The pistons just slip back no problem

Fronts are a hell of a lot easier than the rears! But only once you get the calliper pins out! There's a good possibility that the pins will cone out all mangled and bent, so best to buy some replacements. The pistons just slip back no problem

as said above - fronts "easy" IF the pins come out!!!

the pistons just push back as they dont have the handbrake mechanism built in

Thank god for that. At least I only have one thing to worry about. Those Dammit pistons were a real pain in the arse today. Knowing my luck the pins will be stuck since everything on the rears was!

Yeah I used that and I've read the rears one. To be honest having never changed brakes before I wouldn't have tried without it! Glad I did it now though. I'm pretty handy with a scanner as I've been a service engineer for the last 6yrs but I've always left cars as black magic and witch craft for some reason?!

My pins were stuck solid, I ended up using a 1/2" socket extension bar and a 4lb lump hammer to knock them loose then a nice thin punch. Ended up chipping some of the paint off the calliper but don't really care as I now have decent breaks :wink: