Picked it up :)

Well today i changed the Coras VXR for a 200FF with Cup pack
Driving the 80 miles to swap the VXR was showing 37mpg average on a 75+ run, the Clio was showing 32mpg at a steady 65- 70mph (ok not such a biggie)
The Clio without a turbo really suprised me as it felt just as quick mid range when overtaking, etc as the VXR which i didn't expect :thumbup1:
Although the Clio has the non Recaros where the VXR had Recaro buckets they did feel very supportive.
Motorway driving was better than expected, no wind noise, smooth ride and revving at 3k-3.5k.
I couldn't feel the notorious flat spot at 2k -seems to pull effortlesly, bet a remap make a difference though?
Getting home on the crappy Yorkshire roads i did notice a rattle from the back, i've put some velcro on the boot catch so will see tommorow if that's the cause and adjust it if it is.
I'll be getting a new set of Falkens fitted tommorow so will have some grip for another 60 mile drive to do my plate transfer at DVLA

1 question - the temp gauge didn't go above the 1/4 mark (well maybe 1-2mm above), is that normal?

noplate-1.gif

noplate1-1.gif

Last edited:
Nice! Would be good to hear your comparison thoughts when you've had the Clio a while.

Thanks

The VXR just didn't feel right - i can't put my finger on why?
Maybe it's more suited to an 18 year old (no offence meant) and i'm too old or maybe after reading the VX forums and seeing too many owners having big problems (Piston 4, Gearboxes, Air-con pipes, Wheel bearings, etc) has made me paranoid?

I know the Clio has its problems (mine needs the seat bolster doing) but they don't have as many
Always like a small hot hatch in bright white - the VXR was Arden blue which looked nice but the big bumpers made the car look too plastic (i know the Clio is almost all plastic - doesn't look it though)

Nice! Would be good to hear your comparison thoughts when you've had the Clio a while.

Hmm hope it's a good report - had the VXR for 4 weeks, this Clio is my 62nd car as i get bored within 2-3 months usually, hope i enjoy it more as it's costing me a fortune to keep changing :smile:

Would have liked the MPG to be nearer to the VXRs 32-37mpg but i guess bigger engine/ no turbo i can't expect it

Congrats on the purchase I few of my mates moved of VXRs due to issues so your not alone, if bolster needs doing good excuse to get yourself some recaros for the 200, what other plans do you have for her?

Are you on finance or just rich and pay cash lol

I chopped in my last car after a month (one before after 4 months) and because I had negative equity the clio is costing me a crap load of money.

When I bought my clio it was out of a cooper s, corsa vxr or the clio. Didn't like the cooper s at all, didn't feel special. The vxr was good but the clio just felt so right and slightly more special.

What appealed with the vxr (and cooper s too) was the tuning potential, with the clio you need big bucks to get noticeable gains.

Yeah the mpg is quite bad for what it is to be fair, I didn't buy a car for mpg as I wouldn't have looked at the cars I did look at but I'm getting under 30mpg even on motorway runs, and I haven't got the patience to sit at 55mph on a motorway just so I can get 34 or whatever mpg lol

Congrats on the purchase I few of my mates moved of VXRs due to issues so your not alone, if bolster needs doing good excuse to get yourself some recaros for the 200, what other plans do you have for her?

Just ordered steering wheel trim and RS boot badge
Panel filter next and spoiler after xmas - not sure on Cup or Spring though?

Just ordered steering wheel trim and RS boot badge
Panel filter next and spoiler after xmas - not sure on Cup or Spring though?

Sound mate always the nice fine details that look the best :smile: either spoiler tidy I've always loved the cup spoiler so was a no brainier for me although some don't like the cup spoiler but the sprint always looks tidy :wink:

Are you on finance or just rich and pay cash lol

I chopped in my last car after a month (one before after 4 months) and because I had negative equity the clio is costing me a crap load of money.

When I bought my clio it was out of a cooper s, corsa vxr or the clio. Didn't like the cooper s at all, didn't feel special. The vxr was good but the clio just felt so right and slightly more special.

What appealed with the vxr (and cooper s too) was the tuning potential, with the clio you need big bucks to get noticeable gains.

Yeah the mpg is quite bad for what it is to be fair, I didn't buy a car for mpg as I wouldn't have looked at the cars I did look at but I'm getting under 30mpg even on motorway runs, and I haven't got the patience to sit at 55mph on a motorway just so I can get 34 or whatever mpg lol

I have a personal loan so when changing i just add cash to the deal - finance is bad if you do change ofter as you always have to pay more fees, interest when settling.

I've had 2 Coopers (not S) and loved them for a week or so - it gets annoying the number of drivers up your ar*e (don't know why Minis attract them), no boot space, speedo in centre of dash, fiddly switches, etc.
I did think about getting a S model but they have problems with the timing chains, clutches, etc - no car is problem free

I had an Astra VXR a couple of years ago and had the Dreamscience remap on that - it was quick, wanted to do similat with the Corsa but after reading about the problems was put off (couldn't spend £2k on a forge job when it was still a Coras, maybe if it was a Porche, etc i could)

Sound mate always the nice fine details that look the best :smile: either spoiler tidy I've always loved the cup spoiler so was a no brainier for me although some don't like the cup spoiler but the sprint always looks tidy :wink:

always said if i got a Clio i'd have to get the Cup spoiler - having seen some pics on her of the Sprint one has now thrown me :smile:
would also like to get some sideskirts - look good black against white

always said if i got a Clio i'd have to get the Cup spoiler - having seen some pics on her of the Sprint one has now thrown me :smile:
would also like to get some sideskirts - look good black against white

Go with your first choice :wink: cup spoilers alway look good esp on GW :smile: aye the skirts do look good they've been on my list for awhile few bits I'm doing before them though :smile:

Well today i changed the Coras VXR for a 200FF with Cup pack
Driving the 80 miles to swap the VXR was showing 37mpg average on a 75+ run, the Clio was showing 32mpg at a steady 65- 70mph (ok not such a biggie)
The Clio without a turbo really suprised me as it felt just as quick mid range when overtaking, etc as the VXR which i didn't expect :thumbup1:
Although the Clio has the non Recaros where the VXR had Recaro buckets they did feel very supportive.
Motorway driving was better than expected, no wind noise, smooth ride and revving at 3k-3.5k.
I couldn't feel the notorious flat spot at 2k -seems to pull effortlesly, bet a remap make a difference though?
Getting home on the crappy Yorkshire roads i did notice a rattle from the back, i've put some velcro on the boot catch so will see tommorow if that's the cause and adjust it if it is.
I'll be getting a new set of Falkens fitted tommorow so will have some grip for another 60 mile drive to do my plate transfer at DVLA

1 question - the temp gauge didn't go above the 1/4 mark (well maybe 1-2mm above), is that normal?

noplate-1.gif

noplate1-1.gif

Nice car mate, enjoy it! Temp gauge position is normal. Doesn't look right IMO but it never moves from that spot when warm no matter how hard I'm driving or in traffic etc.

Changing your car that often? I thought I was bad! Salespeople must love you! LOL

RE: comment on Minis and people driving up your arse - I've been driving the 200 a lot this week and generally find the same thing happens even in traffic where you can't exactly do anything about it. I just put it down to the fact it's a smallish car, and looks racy and that alone creates red mist for certain folk This is especially the case when I get travel through Bracknell.....

Similar Thread Suggestions