Parts enquiry - calipers

Mike you really don't need to mess with the brakes. I tracked 2 197s at the 'ring, even did 3 back to back laps flat out with no fade on standard discs and pads, tyres were totally fried but brakes ok. Just chuck some pagids or similar in the standard calipers with standard discs and they will take all that you could throw at them.

OK cool - the Ring isn't much of a brake killer, but that sounds positive enough.

I'll pad and fluid it up, get a cheeky half day at Oulton and see what happens... at worst I'll ruin a set of cheap discs.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm just thinking out loud really, I'll be making very few mods to the car, mostly geo, but I insist the brakes are right on anything I own. We have a lot of OEM cross over in the VAG world and most stuff fits in some way, shape or form for cheap, effective upgrades.

I wasn't so much thinking of changing the caliper, more using the RS250's carrier and 340mm disc. It doesn't surprise me the caliper is different, I'd imagine they've selected larger piston sizes but it may still share the same body and pad family? The Clio uses the code Brembo HP 4 PISTON 125X65 Pagid p/no. 8023. Can anyone find out if the RS250 shares this? (Image below) It'll give an idea on compatibility. Maybe compare the Renault parts system, as the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet.

I've found the Clio's disc is 63mm high, so I need to see if the RS250's is the same? If it is, then it is very easy to engineer a caliper outboard, changing its offset however is a PITA. The other issue is the Brembo caliper is a bulky bugger, so getting it behind a 17 may be a problem.

If I ruin the discs, then I'll almost certainly go down the 2-piece route with ducting for the weight saving alone. But there's no harm in finding out if the RS250's will work for other people's benefit.

8023.jpg