Partially blocked exhaust?!?

I had a resonated after market exhaust (Milltek) fitted about 6 months ago, and started hearing occasional dull popping/knocking noise when engine cold. Feels like the exhaust is getting slightly blocked then clearing itself.

The noise became a bit more frequent, until this morning when it just about stalled for a few seconds, felt like the exhaust was almost blocked - dropping the clutch and revving the engine seemed to clear it, and I parked it up shortly after.

Wondering if the secondary cat might have collapsed and be rattling around, and considering just taking into local kwikfit for them to have a look.

Anyone had anything similar?

Randomly posted the above from a really old profile I’d forgotten about! Watching the thread from my proper account now - any help or advice appreciated!

Chap at Kwikfit found a loose clamp on the engine side of the cat, so replaced it and had a quick look at cat which was normal. Might explain the knocking noise, but doesn’t really help with the occasional blockage feeling. He put a new clamp on and I’ll have to wait and see if any better.

Have you had it plugged into Clip or a generic OBD reader?

I got the blocked exhaust feeling again this afternoon, just after pulling off the drive, but this time it was a bit more dramatic!!!

It felt a bit like the usual stuttering (partially blocking and clearing), then it felt like it was blocked, then there was a massive bang from underneath the car, and it was gone!

The bang sounded like it came from either the middle or the front of the underside of the car. I stuck an OBD2 reader on the car and there are no fault codes. Car seems to be driving normally, and no leaks anywhere that I can see.

It doesn't happen that often, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it, specially after today! What's going on???

Does it do it normally when it’s cold or warm?
Mine runs like a bag of shit when manoeuvring it from cold. Just kinda put it down to being one of them quirks

I’ve only really noticed it when it’s cold - first mile or so, and even then it’s only sometimes, sounds a bit like heavily muffled pops and bangs... appart from today when there was a noise like a gun going off!

It runs super smooth apart from that, steady idle, no kangaroo hoping down the road! It’s just that momentary total loss of power that freaks me out - like it’s blocked or cut out.

I might just keep swapping out exhaust bits until I get to the engine - sports cat and manifold next...which is expensive if they’re not causing the problem!

It sounds exactly what mines like. It’s almost to the point when I’m reversing out the garage that it’s going to cut out.

If your cat had collapsed I feel like your issue would be constant.