Overfilled my 200 I think with oil.

Found out how to check the oil level via the gauge in the car when it displays oil level correct, it had just 2 circles lift up so I thought crap that's low, il chuck 1ltr in thinking it's below half so half is 2.5 litres.

I cant any get a reading on the dipstick now, before measuring it had below half on the dipstick.

Does this sound bad?

im no nooby to cars but thought I did it properly, thinking less than half is ok to chuck a 1ltr in.

Should i I drain some out? I now have all the circles light up on the display.

Half on the dipstick is not half full of oil. It's just halfway between the max and min oil permitted in the engine not sure what capacity is left when at min but doubt it's as low as 2.5litres I'd say just to be on the safe side drain the oil completely and fill with the 5.25litres that's supposed to be in there IIRC, better safe than sorry.

Edit: Just a a look around and it seems that the difference between the min and max on a dipstick is 1litre so in theory you may have overfilled your engine

Last edited:
Half on the dipstick is not half full of oil. It's just halfway between the max and min oil permitted in the engine not sure what capacity is left when at min but doubt it's as low as 2.5litres I'd say just to be on the safe side drain the oil completely and fill with the 5.25litres that's supposed to be in there IIRC, better safe than sorry.

Edit: Just a a look around and it seems that the difference between the min and max on a dipstick is 1litre so in theory you may have overfilled your engine

Ah write ok mate thanks.

Il drain half a ltr out and read the dipstick again, learn something everyday I suppose.

Might get a lift to work and get the syphon kit.