Old Gits LY.....now under conversion

Yes mate. Good to see it out in the big wide world. And strong numbers too.

Hope you're proper pleased with yourself. Top work you've done here.

Thanks and it was site a sore eyes to see it still performing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ///M
GREAT BHP figure !!!

Whats the Engine / Exhaust / Breathing / Cam specs etc ?

Thanks. It's still the standard engine, R3 carbon induction system, cheapo exhaust manifold and full akro exhaust.
Letting the engine breath on standard internals you can still get some strong figures or recoup a few lost ones.

Well it was a long day yesterday and was hoping to post the final outcome.
What initially we thought was going to be a issue, i.e timing reference points for crankshaft sensor and cam sensor was quickly solved. The base map I acquired from DTA needed a lot of fettling at the bottom end on both the timing and injection tables. Once we had a stable idle , which was high and due to partly a too taut throttle cable and a small throttle stop adjustment all was well.
It was then sorting all the ambient air and water temperature compensation tables that effect timing when cold. These need to be sensible before mapping in earnest starts.
Chris (EFI guru) thought it would be good to go straight into a full power run to see what's there. Remarkably the cam map wasn't that far off. So hence the second full run gave that warm fuzzy feel.
Anyway what was important was a good smooth power curve and that's where most of the next 4 hours (apart from breaks and talk shit on general topics) was took up.
Anyway outcome was 203bhp.
Did have some small
Issues with fettling the mid range AFR, this was from harmonics from the air induction system which needed to over fuel in that region and also from the fuel system. Unfortunately due to the time, I left the standard fuel system in. He had to accommodate for this.
I will leave this for now and deal with the fuel system when I do the engine mods in the winter.

Well...... Ying and yang.....car sorted.....trailer fecked. Got home to three smoking wheel drums. Grease splatter all of the place. Binding disc's!!! Cooked the wheel bearings!!

Reactions: Sean197 and ///M
Diverted my attention to sorting the few remaining minor jobs left. One is a stone protector for the crankshaft pully and improving brake cooling.
Anyway mk1 .... will be drivers side tonight.

7ff39435dc636a3626d11217193f6f7d.jpg

Something I forgot from the mapping weekend.....

8af9b78b9c451aa278464848143f6363.jpg

f56adcd71341f9e552418619ebefa1fe.jpg

Reactions: Sean197
Small update, since the rolling road have noticed a rattle at about 2.5K to 3K revs, sounds like a top end rattle. Phasor pully ok and checked every nut & bolt. Sounds like hyd cam follower/s.
Well in the process of a oil flush and new oil & Hyd follower treatment being added to reduce the racket. this just to get me by short term as this winter I will focus on power plant. However I have had to delay getting a re-conned g/b & gripper from RenTune. As I keep changing my mind on the engine replant!.........may go over to the dark side!

Also found a alternator bearing on its way out, so in the process of fitting a alternator out of a renault traffic van, has the ideal mounting points for what I need.

Anyway Track day booked at Blyton in 2 weeks time, so just tidying up a few small things

Well the cars first outing completed yesterday with no major issues. using it as a shakedown, nothing leaked, broke, snapped or bent.
Developed a small issue with the epas unit after a good session, starts to get over heated and the steering oscillates between heavy and light on certain bends. This could just be the column, cheap enough to replace.
On thing I'm going to invest in his a gripper diff. Also get the car rear end geo'd, it's still running near standard set up. Engine issues I thought I had went away. Rattle must be coming from the starter motor cover.

Well I can safely say this is now the end of the build project and such brings this thread to a close. Many thanks for all your encouragement , input, feedback and help along the way. I hope what I have done has sparked a few idea's in others. I can say that the greatest achievement was getting the standalone ECU working as good if not better than the standard ecu. A big thanks to DTA and chris at EFI in Runcorn.[emoji106]
Well I'll sign out with a few photo's

4178aee5f7a5a3d51edc2979b6a89bf6.jpg
e26845f9955c3be7819a175843b0e1bc.jpg
00259d2abec154b499eb08c664015a0c.jpg
29312845e42fdbd9151246414852b78d.jpg

Reactions: Sean197 and Big Ben
Mate, firstly, it's good to see this out on track and doing what you built it to do.

Secondly, you can't stop there!!! This post is all too final, we need more!

Enjoy that wonderful motor. One of the best on here I think.

Reactions: krash67
Totally agree! One of few threads i watched and waited to see what was happeneing next and how you had done certain things.

Cracking car, sure it wont be the end of mods though

Reactions: krash67
Well the cars first outing completed yesterday with no major issues. using it as a shakedown, nothing leaked, broke, snapped or bent.
Developed a small issue with the epas unit after a good session, starts to get over heated and the steering oscillates between heavy and light on certain bends. This could just be the column, cheap enough to replace.
On thing I'm going to invest in his a gripper diff. Also get the car rear end geo'd, it's still running near standard set up. Engine issues I thought I had went away. Rattle must be coming from the starter motor cover.

Well I can safely say this is now the end of the build project and such brings this thread to a close. Many thanks for all your encouragement , input, feedback and help along the way. I hope what I have done has sparked a few idea's in others. I can say that the greatest achievement was getting the standalone ECU working as good if not better than the standard ecu. A big thanks to DTA and chris at EFI in Runcorn.[emoji106]
Well I'll sign out with a few photo's

Will we be seeing at is CSF this year? :smile:

Will we be seeing at is CSF this year? :smile:

I dont know yet, I get back from holiday late Friday. Because of that I haven't booked anything. I might trailer it over and park it up in the car park

Well it looks like if i have no joy in the next week in flogging this whole, it's going to be broken up.
As you know, like many of us, some time and effort has gone into this but it appears the cars worth more in bits than whole.
I have drawn up a spreadsheet with all parts that will be for sale, if anybody wants to show a interest in the parts, all of which have been documented within this thread and such there condition is unchanged, drop us a pm.
Once i I have sufficient interest/commitment I will start the break.

Well it looks like if i have no joy in the next week in flogging this whole, it's going to be broken up.
As you know, like many of us, some time and effort has gone into this but it appears the cars worth more in bits than whole.
I have drawn up a spreadsheet with all parts that will be for sale, if anybody wants to show a interest in the parts, all of which have been documented within this thread and such there condition is unchanged, drop us a pm.
Once i I have sufficient interest/commitment I will start the break.

Iv Pm'd you for you location.

Pez