Oil recomendation?

Hi,

Got a 200 with just under 10,000 miles on the clock and am going to the Alps in July on a mega 8 day driving tour :smile:
I am a bit worried about overheating due to the thinner air in the passes, relatively slow speeds and high rpm for quite a long time. I've been before in Saxo few years back and was bit of an issue.
What oil would you guys recommend to cope slightly better with higher engine temps that will most probably be incured?

I'd see what Opie Oils says but bear in mind he obviously wants to sell oil. I can recommend Motul 300V though if you do want to change, it's top stuff

This is meant as a question to inform me and others and not a dig... but how do people categorise oils as "good" and "bad"? Are there qualitative values and data that sway people to use certain oils or is it simply people's opinion? Or is it just, for example, the sound of the engine, idling behaviour and other things?

It's always intrigued me how people go about this and decide what is good and bad.

It's simply a matter of opinion. There are plenty of very 'capable' oils out there for our road cars so just get a brand your comfortable with but try and stick to it. Don't ever mix synthetics with semis and visa versa.

Opie oils supplies a very good range including silkolene and fuchs

Renault recommend elf 5w/40 fully synthetic

I say the motul is good based on the rave reviews it gets and also it made my engine run a lot smoother after the service (Had Renault/ELF oil in before). As far as I know a few race teams use the motul too.

There is a way of testing the oil, you can measure the amount of deposits in it after a set number of hours/miles. Less deposits means less engine wear and therefore a better lubrication. I found a thread on a forum a while back where someone had got loads of oils tested, I'll have a look for it.

if you want the best stick in some synthetic oil of the correct grade :thumbup1:

I use Shell Helix Fully Synthetic every 6k.

If it's a new car at 10k you might want to replace the oil now anyway. Alot of people change their oil every 6k.

On my old R27 I noticed after about 8k into each service interval the car was not as responsive and a bit crappy from cold. It was at that point I decided to switch to fully synthetic and change every 6k.

Now my 200 is smooth all the time, regardless of where it is in the service interval :smile:

I changed the oil at 6500 and i'll hopefully be able to squeeze in its first service before i go, otherwise its gona be at least 1000-1500miles over by the time i get back.
As i'm lazy and cba to look at the bottle, is the Elf stuff that gets supplied with the car not fully synthetic? Basicly, i was wondering if its worth switching to an oil that would/may cope with higher running temps, or is the normal Elf stuff fine?

The elf stuff is fine. It's as already said 5w/40 fully synthetic and says that on your 1l bottle you get with car. Could always go down a grade on your spark plugs but no point as you really shouldn't have any issues

I recommend motul engine oil. Get the double ester one. I'm currently using it and it does feel much smoother than compared to Blitz, Endless and Elf oil from my previous services.

Yea, the 300V. I got mine from opie, got him to price match another website and it was a lot cheaper than the price it's currently selling for. I paid £65 posted for 6 litres and an oil filter.

See if you can get a cheaper price and get opie to match it :smile: