Oil Change

Thinking of doing a service on my car today as it's due! And following the guide on here of the oil change, there is no use of an engine flush? and my mate seems to think I'll need one.

What do people think? Quick reply needed.

Cheers

IMO it's not necessary as long as your car is serviced regularly. Stick to the intervals and you'll be fine without.

doing mine today IF the rain passes!!!

i wouldnt use an oil flush as when you use one you cannot fully remove all of the additive as some stay trapped in the variuos parts of the engine and all the possible crud in there is trapped along with it!

only way round it is to change the oil after a few miles again!!!

only worth it if its black and gungy or been neglected

Places in Aus would hit 50 degrees, where we live our climate is very similar to britain although our summers would be slightly warmer on average.

No idea RE oil, I thought renaus used ELF?? Not sure what weight though

whats the climate like?

what oil spec do you use?

Places in Aus would hit 50 degrees, where we live our climate is very similar to britain although our summers would be slightly warmer on average.

No idea RE oil, I thought renaus used ELF?? Not sure what weight though

think there being very careful and also cash generating for the dealers

over here its the longer the better for service intervals - well to keep the fleet managers happy that is!

... I don't feel so bad for being 2 months overdue for a service now not even done 2500 miles since it was last done

The use of engine flush is a whole can of worms, general consensus seems to be that it is best avoided, especially if the engine is properly maintained.

Something interesting to note from reading some magazines is that more frequent oil changes are commonly recommended; just changing the oil and filter is relatively inexpensive so doing that at 6k between intervals probably isn't a bad idea. I did the Clio every 6k, and am treating the Focus and Civic the same.

Guys just got some 5W 40 but then realised its for diesel, is this still the correct stuff? i got it from GSF they said it was but I'm gonna throw the question out there!

Yep, for what it costs I always have an oil change and filter every 6k, and, changing this often means you don't really have to use premium oils, although I always use fully synthetic, I just buy what's on offer at the time. I'd only bother flushing if the existing oil was black and cruddy, although I'd like to think I wouldn't buy a car if the oil was like that anyway!

My track cars oil is changed after every track day so around 100/150miles. Luckily it's easy to get to the filter! :bounce1: