Oil Catch Tank

Hi all, do u think guys that fitting an oil catch tank is a good mod? I am sometimes taking my car to track day and drive usually fast everyday :smile:

why? you had oil surge/starvation/oil smoke problems?

not heard of any issues to justify one to be honest

be better off fitting an oil cooler than a catch tank

why? you had oil surge/starvation/oil smoke problems?

not heard of any issues to justify one to be honest

be better off fitting an oil cooler than a catch tank

Hmm, oil cooler, that sounds nice :tongueout: I havent got any problem, but i just think of the fact that the oil fumes that are going out of the engine are brought back, which is rubbish going back into the engine.
u see what i mean?
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4376&appid=3

Where can i get the oil cooler from? Doesnt the std car have oil cooler?

The standard car has a heat exchanger around the filter housing, but techs tell me this is more to bring the oil upto temp quicker rather than offer any cooling effect.

As for the catch tank you only need to consider one should you vent the breathers to atmosphere, in itself I see little point in doing this. I have breathers on my engine but just because the ITB setup doesn't allow for fume recirculation. On road use the breather never fouled with oil but at snetterton it got very damp and dripped oil. I'm currently fitting a catch tank to combat this myself.

As for an oil cooler I'd suggest you spend more on a high quality oil that can handle more heat rather than a cooler. Motul 300v can operate upto 120 degrees reliably. With my oil cooler ( 16 row ) I run around the 95 degree mark on a fast track.

The standard car has a heat exchanger around the filter housing, but techs tell me this is more to bring the oil upto temp quicker rather than offer any cooling effect.

As for the catch tank you only need to consider one should you vent the breathers to atmosphere, in itself I see little point in doing this. I have breathers on my engine but just because the ITB setup doesn't allow for fume recirculation. On road use the breather never fouled with oil but at snetterton it got very damp and dripped oil. I'm currently fitting a catch tank to combat this myself.

As for an oil cooler I'd suggest you spend more on a high quality oil that can handle more heat rather than a cooler. Motul 300v can operate upto 120 degrees reliably. With my oil cooler ( 16 row ) I run around the 95 degree mark on a fast track.

Thanks mate,
i use Motul 300v since the first mile on the car, and change it every 10.000km, i am just wondering if i should maybe use the oilcooler for trackdays,
How easy is to fit the oil temperature gauge?

Thanks mate,
i use Motul 300v since the first mile on the car, and change it every 10.000km, i am just wondering if i should maybe use the oilcooler for trackdays,
How easy is to fit the oil temperature gauge?

If your going for an oil cooler you can buy sandwich plates with take offs for an oil temp gague.

Look for one that is controlled by a thermostat too.