Non cup ,cup

I have the non-cup and it is very comfortable but still holds the road extremely well. I didn't intentionally go for the non-cup, but the car was the right price with the right mileage, condition, history etc.
I believe that if you are wanting to run the car on track, the cup chassis is going to be the winner.

In my first 197 I had a non cup FF and to be honest found it not stiff enough for a quick blast, when I have changed shocks for the cup ones together with eibach springs this was a night day difference, sure worth having on a clio

In my first 197 I had a non cup FF and to be honest found it not stiff enough for a quick blast, when I have changed shocks for the cup ones together with eibach springs this was a night day difference, sure worth having on a clio
In my opinion i see it : cup chassis(regular suspension if possible) >non cup at all>cup suspension .
Why? Cuz i think its too much to pay in comfort but not worth the improvement in the handling spec ,no without the cup chassis anyway .
Maybe im wrong never feelt it i just say that from how it looks on dry (paper specs)

By the way is the non cup one is same chassis as the regular clios?(1.2 and so on ) or it has its own chassis

Last edited:
Prefer non cup, it's where the car is used more. Little easier on your suspension too.

Cup for extreme days out.

Always cup.

It's not just different suspension, it's faster steering rack and awesome red calipers.

Last edited:
My cups my daily and I think it's fine! Granted it can be harsh sometimes on potholes etc
but I wouldn't change it for a non cup

Always cup.

It's not just different suspension, it's faster steering rack and awesome red calipers.
I dont know how noticeable is 7.5%
But all i can say , i wouldnt say no to a faster steering,my previous hothatch was corsa opc whice was super fast near our cars !(steering spec) tbh i was kinda suprised to our steering response
(And not exactly for good)[emoji13] but i still love it!!!! And even more than the corsa

Last edited:
Nothing a change of steering rack can't fix... or a can of Hammerite :wink:

One of my previous cars was Clio 197 "full fat" and i loved it. Suspension was just spot on for bad Finnish roads. Comfortable but stiff enough for small roads. Absolutely fine in daily driver even in winter when we have roads in terrible condition covered in ice and snow and potholes in ice.

Currently i have Clio 200 which do have cup chassis and in my opinion it is quite stiff. It is good when you drive fast but really uncomfortable in bad roads. I cant imagine to drive with cup chassis clio in wintertime.
I have another daily driver BMW which is comfortable, clio is only for some special days when i like to drive different car.

Mine has the cup chassis (R27) and it is fine, rides better than the Fiesta ST2 my other half owns. I would say it is about right for a hot hatch, it doesn't bother me in the 15-20k miles I do a year.

Antee,not realy related to the subject but i must to ask ,hows the fiesta(182 is?) compared to the non cup 197/200 clio ? Realy interesting me ( and im sure for most of the forum haha)

Last edited:
They are very evenly matched to be honest. Fiesta is more refined and has more toys (heated seats are brilliant!) but the Clio is more fun and rides better even with the Cup chassis. My main annoyance with the Fiesta is how it handles bumps, it really crashes into any dips/holes in the road surface. It is so well refined that if you are sat at the lights in neutral, it actually feels like the engine is off!

In sound ,handling and the "more driving experience" whice one would you pick? ( non cup ,not cup compare)
Btw i dont know how long you have owned a fiesta but in reliability section i guess it took it easy[emoji16] [emoji16]

Last edited:
In sound ,handling and the "more driving experience" whice one would you pick? ( non cup ,not cup compare)
Btw i dont know how long you have owned a fiesta but in reliability section i guess it took it easy[emoji16] [emoji16]

If handling and driving experience is more important than comfort and usability then go cup model.

I'm fairly confident there are three chassis: regular, non-cup and cup.