Noise After Clio 197 Manifold Flexi Replacment

Sheldon88

Paid Member
So welded new flexis in and re-fitted manifold. Now getting a fairly loud metally purring sound on heavy acceleration, no noise if i drive and increase revs gradually and not to much noise when reving. Flexis are new and welds are fine, C-Clamp on cat to mid box pipe checked and ok and manifold studs on tight. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The starter motor has a heat shield, many times it's bent by accident when removing or refitting manifold, worse case it shorts and ruins the starter, or you could have it touching somewhere, I'd check that first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheldon88
Better address what @suj just mentioned to roll it out as Clio 200 for a friend's of mine end up catching fire due to the heat shield being loos and wires around the starter motor heated up and were on flame!

Heres the noise, you cannot hear unless the volume is loud or played on a car / bluetooth speaker.

Nothing loose in cat checked last night. Could it be a bad gasket or leaking from there? Sound is consistent on hard acceleration only.

No mate, in starting to think its the replacement flexis possibly. Checked starter heat shield and all ok. Sounds like air being forced through a pin hole

Are the flexis touching or close enough to touch?
Under hard accel suggests engine movement is causing it, its all relatively tight under there..
First replacement flexis I had done leaked worse than the fubar'd ones when I swapped the manifold, so had to get some more done then pressure test it before fitting to be sure..

Looks like manifold has also cracked at joins now ! Back off it comes