Newbie sorry if been asked before.tyre size

jezus christ martin, use the bloody calculator in post #36.

sorry ... no, an 8 inch wheel requires an ET of 58 to stick out the same as a 7.5 inch wide wheel with ET45.
going to lie down now. exhausted.
I think you have over compensated Peter!.
Martin, try to think of it this way. If you have a rim, for argument, say it is the standard 7.5" wide, 68 offset. If you were to fit a 255 width tyre to that, the tyre would over hand the rim equally on the outside face and on the inside face. This is effectively what you do if you make the rim wider.
So the important bit for you to know if that for your car if offset numbers get bigger the wheel moves inboard. If they get smaller the wheel moves outboard. Conversely if the rim width numbers get bigger then the outer face moves outward (the inner face also moves inward so you always have to check for clearance there too)
So in your example of 45 offset on a 7.5" rim adding half an inch width, using Man Maths numbers of 12mm total, so 6mm per side, then the outer face has moved out 6mm and the inner face has moved in 6mm. To bring the outer face back to the same position you would (as I said above, bigger offset numbers bring the wheel inboard) so you would add that 6 to the 45 giving you 51mm. What this does however is reduce the clearance on the inside of the wheel by that half inch (12mm) that you added in width.
If you buy a set of race spec wheels the typical fitment would be 8" with a 53 offset. What this would mean from the difference of the standard 7.5 x 68 wheel would be the outer face would be the 15mm further out with the offset change and then a further 6mm for the width change so 21mm, which is about where your spacers were putting you and is about where your 7.5 x 45ET wheel is.

Did the 200 have them?
Generally if actually TPM's are fitted they will have a bolt in valve design. There are newer one that do have rubber stems, but they are not common yet and a Clio of this age won't have them. I am not aware that the car has that set up anyway. Other systems use speed variation of a deflating tyre and the ABS to signify a diameter variance and so has no TPM fitted.

Reactions: peter
I think you have over compensated Peter!

you're right, nick. that 8 inch wide wheel needs an ET of 51, not 58, to have the same outer position as a 7.5 ET45 wheel.
and it does have 12mm less inner clearance. apologies martin, got confused.

Thankyou .
Spent bit on it already getting up to scratch belts service etc etc
New snappy wheel on its way .
Few other little tweaks personal touches to add got it all just need the time off to do it all .
Dont see many other sports down Southampton way

Thankyou all for your patience.
You can now close this tiring thread .
New wheels now ordered will post pics once fitted ,
And ill be prepared to get slated lol

Only just caught up on this today and was about to post details on the following:

A contact for Braid in the UK quoted me £680+VAT for 17 x 8J ET55
Demon Tweeks quoted they have to state up to a 26 week wait for Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's, and they also seem to stock the cheapest Assetto Gara at £150 per wheel
Autec Wizard's are very tasty indeed

Look forward to seeing what you've gone for!

jezus christ martin, use the bloody calculator in post #36.

sorry ... no, an 8 inch wheel requires an ET of 58 to stick out the same as a 7.5 inch wide wheel with ET45.
going to lie down now. exhausted.

This proper made me laugh out loud on the train!

Demon Tweeks quoted they have to state up to a 26 week wait for Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's[QUOTE ]
That's Tweeks covering their arse. I have a set on order for a customer just coming up to 6 weeks, which is where I would expect it to be. Rim Stock are saying they are expecting to be back to 4 weeks lead time soon.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13
T New Members 17
Garysp2 New Members 4
R Clio 197 Area 6