New person signing in, on the look out for a 197

Hi folks! :thumbup:

After the last 3 years spent in a 200sx s14a I decided to sell it and try something different. Something I can still run around a track, but will still pop to the shops and ferry the missus about :smiley:

Narrowed the choice down to a 197 or corsa vxr, but it seems you get more for your money with the clio at the price range I'm looking at, and the examples for sale are better.

Slowly picking up what the different models are, so I've got a rough idea of what I want. Got around 6/7k to spend, so should be able to pick up a nice example.

Cheers :smile:

Welcome aboard, there are plenty of threads on here on advise for buying used 197/200's. hope you find what you're looking for :smile:

:weclome: to the site, any mods to the S14a? I quite like a nice S-body :smile:

You should get a good example for your budget good luck with the search and pop up any questions you have :smile:

3-2_zpsc7cec126.jpg
21_zpsf8a33adf.jpg
4-1_zpsef45543e.jpg
5_zpsfa2eae77.jpg
7_zpsadab01d5.jpg

Was setup for track work, small fortune spend on bits underneath that you never see. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I want something that's more friendly day to day, but i can still track.

I see you have a few K-Sport goodies. How did you find the brake kit on track and for everyday use? Which size are they?

I have a few questions, all of which I'm sure the answers are already on here, but I'm on my phone, searching isn't the easiest.

Which version 197 has the Recaros? I got confused as I think I saw a 'normal' 197 with them, maybe retro fitted?

Do they all have 17" alloys as standard? I'd prefer this, semi slicks are much cheaper :smiley:

330mm 8pots up front, Z32 conversion at the rear. DS2500 pads. Brakes were amazing, probably the thing I will miss the most. Excellent both on the road and track, gives you so much confidence in the car.
Used to run AD08's as well, never had too much trouble stopping :smiley:

The R27 (F1) has the Recaros but all 197/200's had the option to have them fitted for more pennies. Yeah both 197/200 have 17" as standard but I think the Raider came with 18's

The R27 F1 models had Recaros as standard. They could be spec'd on all models though I think. With your budget, I'd definitely be looking at an F1 model.

Is the F1 model the one with the top spoiler, or was that an option too?

Good to know the Recaros can come on normal models too. I see a fair amount of them have wear on the sides, whats the best way of sorting this? Just patch it up or can you buy replacement covers?

Sorry for all the questions :smiley:

The Cup spoiler is an extra as is the Sprint spoiler.

Yeah the Recaros wear on the bolsters and the best way is to have them re-trimmed, we have a sponsor on the forum that can do this (discount for paid members)

330mm 8pots up front, Z32 conversion at the rear. DS2500 pads. Brakes were amazing, probably the thing I will miss the most. Excellent both on the road and track, gives you so much confidence in the car.
Used to run AD08's as well, never had too much trouble stopping :smiley:

That's good to hear, I'm a new KSport dealer and just trying to get a 330 kit for the Clio and Megane sorted.

Good luck with the search tho :thumbup:

330 was plenty big enough. The 356 was a popular choice, but they are a fair bit heavier, unsprung weight and all that.

Good to hear about the seat repairs!

Seats can be repaired, Cup spoiler were a Renault option. Theres also a dynamique spoiler which a renault part and a common mod but never a factory option. The 'Sprint' spoiler is aftermarket and also a common mod.

With regards to the brakes, the Clios have Brembos as standard and with the right discs and pads can be VERY effective, you might not miss them as much as you thought, as they're one of the Clios strong points.

What you might miss is the torque you would have had, be very careful when buying one to make sure your happy, the Clio being high revving NA takes a different style of driving to most cars especially turbos. If you've driven a VTEC Honda its similar but with slightly lower RPM. They have to be driven hard to really give you a thrill.