New LY clio 200

mike harper

Paid Member
Hello all,

Thought I would say hello and introduce my new car (to me!)

Picked up last week - and is in immaculate condition. It’s a full fat cup with h&r springs, and spacers.

The car is going to be solely a track car so will start the build after I’ve done donnington to see how much I like the car and how good a base it is

Enjoying it so far - although still struggling to adapt to the loss of torque as previous track cars have been meg 250 modded and fk8 type r

Wanted a clio as a few friends have them and I can have more interesting track days with comparable cars.

First mods likely to be bigger brakes, intake and akro and tune. If I like the car likely to end up supercharged.

I don’t want to put the meg engine in the car as I think the 200 engine has loads more character and sounds massively better but if I could fill in the torque hole I think it would be awesome

Anyways looking forward to the journey!
Thanks

Attachments

• 0E309FA4-AB6C-4E82-A8F6-71466244B797.jpeg
    0E309FA4-AB6C-4E82-A8F6-71466244B797.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 0D6BFFDB-CF1C-42D4-8FC9-CF1BBDEF2F68.jpeg
    0D6BFFDB-CF1C-42D4-8FC9-CF1BBDEF2F68.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
Welcome. No need for bigger brakes, just upgrade the pads and spend the cash elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. I don’t think I would be upgrading the brakes if they weren’t shot. But seeing as I’ve got to go half the way there for std might as well go the whole hog!:wink: Man maths and all that!

The modding has started !

So far

- akra exhaust
- fully polybushed
- rs steering wheel
- removed rear seats
- harnesses
- itg intake with cold air feed
- lightweight battery
- nesynchros / bearings etc
- lowering seat bracket for recaro

Next on the list is some oz ultraleggera

For reference the lightweight battery makes it significantly easier to fit the itg with a 90 degree bend bend samco which eliminates some of the bends associated with the itg hose

Fits well now with a clear path to the cold air feed

Bit disappointed with the sound from the itg - will try without the cold air feed to see how much better the sound is versus any impact to how it is running

Based on butt funk feels like low / mid range is better with a bit of sacrifice or top end which feels counter intuitive compared to oem box!

Attachments

• F60C592C-660D-4F97-B339-673D8490CCDF.jpeg
    F60C592C-660D-4F97-B339-673D8490CCDF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
Okay... wheel debate again

I’m currently stuck between oz ultraleggera 17 with 8” with

Or recently just seen the speed line turini at ap which are 17 x 7 with an offset of et41

Ultra are 0.5 lighter per wheel so no major decision based on weight

I am planning on coilovers with a drop of 40 minimum - worried the speed line with that et are going to be problematic with rubbing - but then they are an inch less wide?

Any help greatfully received - I hate offset and wheel decisions!

Thanks

Hi,

Congratulations on picking up a LY. Some thoughts as a LY owner who has done some brake upgrades and fitted coilovers:

1. I would not increase the size of the brakes to start with. I’m also unsure if this is referring to just increasing the disk size (312mm to 330mm) or also going for larger calipers with 6 or 8 pistons? I would recommend doing something similar to what I have done which is HEL (or other) braided lines front and rear, good pads, high temperature DOT4 fluid and then replace the discs with grooved or G-hook 312mm when the current ones have worn out.

2. I’m not sure on a 40mm drop. I had run H&R Sport Springs at 30mm and the car was too low. I scraped on speed bumps no matter how careful and the ride was quite hard. I am now on Bilstein B14s at 20mm and the car is great both on the track and driving to the track.

3. I’m not that well informed on wheels but one consideration are Cup Speedlines? Those are about £700 for a set and no need to think about offset and diameter. The cars seem to have quite a lot of caster so rubbing against the front of the arch would become an issue I would think too.

I ran my old 200 Cup on KW Clubsports (Pretty frickin low) with OZ Ultraleggeras in 17 x 8 without issue. As long as you stick with the 215/45/17 tyres you wont have any rubbing issues. The Ultras are one of the best looking wheels that fit on a Clio.

As for brakes. The calipers are fine so no point in changing those. Discs? I'm gonna disagree with the poster above and say by the biggest and best you can afford. "Back in the day" this very owners club ran a How Fast day at Bedford. At the time I ran the 330mm Performance Friction 2-piece discs (can't remember which pads) and one of the overriding comments of the day was that nobody else could brake as late and as hard as I could in my car. Another plus point? I could literally roast them on track and have zero issues on track and after on the road.