New camera what to buy

iAndy

Platinum Member
Ok am thinking of getting a decent camera to try do some photography, after seeing some of the brilliant photo's on here its given me some inspiration. Don't want to blow a fortune but want something that will be a good starter, any suggestions?

I'm looking at buying a DSLR camera for my first one.

Been looking at the Canon 1100d I have. Around £380

Do you have a budget or any other requirements? Eg, do you mind it being a "big" SLR or do you want a decent compact or crossover? Are there any particular types of shots you'll be taking?

In terms of SLRs, I'd personally look at a slightly older second hand one. For £380 you could get a used Canon 40D with kit lens. The difference in build quality is the main thing, the 1100D feels like a cheap toy in comparison, and certain parts like the shutter are built to a lower price point.

Image quality and features will be largely the same, aside from video which the 40D doesn't have.

Just my 2 pence :smile:

You'll want to invest in the glass (lenses) as you can always upgrade the bodies. Traditionally (as in I haven't looked at the prices recently) Nikon's have always been cheaper on glass (plus you can get 3rd party lenses) than the Canon's.

On the Canon side I know if you start on the smaller body EF-S mount you can only swop bodies up as far as the 7D. That will take both the EF-S and the EF mount that the 5D uses. But if you're spending £1500 on a body (5D) then you're spending serious money.

If you're into video, then - right now - Canon are better (unless you have £5k for a Nikon body). The 60D is quite brilliant at the lower price points. If you want to explore this area then feel free to fire any questions my way. I use the 7 and 5D each day at work.

Just to clarify about Canon's EF and EF-S lenses:
  • EF lenses can be used on any Canon DSLR
  • EF-S lenses can be used on any Canon DSLR except for the 5D and 1D series

I don't know much about Nikon equipment, but I believe some of their bodies have an autofocus motor built into the body and some don't, so you need to get the right lenses for them? Does anyone know the score with this, it could be old news?