New and Undecided...

If I was buying I wouldn't look at either car. The white one is far too expensive! The black car looks good but the massive downer for me is the leather as I'm not a fan unless it's in a large luxury cruiser but I suppose that's down to personal opinion.
I have driven both 197/200 with and without cup chassis. Both cars handle great. My 197 has standard seats and suspension and drives great. Uprated suspension can be added at a later date if required as can different seats. Standard chassis and seats wouldn't put me off.

That's a tough call - I think the white one is overpriced, and I have seen that with this particular trader. I think the black one is the better option - mileage is ace and a nice spec too. I think you'd have a better chance getting to the right price with the private sale. Having a look at used 200's this morning, they're still going for strong money, I really do think I got a good deal on mine. I know [MENTION=54203]Nejjam[/MENTION] did too, but I personally don't think you're going to get a car like his for the money he paid again, unless you are very, very patient - you just have to go with the right choice at the right time.

Ok, so I went to look at the white one this morning and it is very nice. However they wouldn't let me test drive it without a deal on the table, and he wouldn't budge on price so that was the end of that. I took 2 things away from that viewing; 1: they look great in white, I have never considered white before but it is now top of the list 2: the Recaros are essential, I love them and they fit me like a glove!. So not a wasted journey.

I think I am going to struggle to get everything I want for the money I want to pay. So in an epic twist (gripping isn't it) I am going to look at a cheap 197 later today or tomorrow. I figure this will get me by until the right car pops up and I won't feel pressured to buy a car on someone elses terms. We shall see.

Let me know if anything comes up 8)

Not letting you test drive a car without a deal? How ridiculous. I'd suggest there's something wrong with it.

Not letting you test drive a car without a deal? How ridiculous. I'd suggest there's something wrong with it.

There would have been no money changing hands before the test drive, and I can sort of understand them not wanting test pilots. But the car was in a warehouse, right at the back with six cars needing to be moved to get it out. And had I driven it and thought 'wow this is it!' then maybe I would have been willing to pay more.

The customers they are after are people who don't question money.. There were some nice cars there and all clean and tidy. The chap was very polite and had all the paperwork ready to rock, so I can't fault him there. Just too much monies for me.

I agree with Chris, I think it's daft that a seller won't allow a test drive without a deal... I certainly wouldn't want offer a money without a drive first...

On a more positive note, it's always good to at least view a few cars before making a decision - as in your case it gives you a good idea of what you definitely do and don't want in a car. Good luck with finding the right one :smile:

Should have let you test drive it.there's no deal without a test drive.good job you didn't go for it.just so you know I bought the 1st car I viewed .guess I got lucky:wink:

Last edited:

I found this last year when I was car shopping as well. Couple of places I went didn't even want to get the car out of the garage until a dead was agreed! (not sure if age makes a difference but I was "only" 24 at the time)

As it happens, the one I eventually bought, the guy was great. Got it out the garage and straight out for a test drive. And on my 2nd viewing I asked to see the car from a cold start which again he delivered on :smile:

There would have been no money changing hands before the test drive, and I can sort of understand them not wanting test pilots. But the car was in a warehouse, right at the back with six cars needing to be moved to get it out. And had I driven it and thought 'wow this is it!' then maybe I would have been willing to pay more.

The customers they are after are people who don't question money.. There were some nice cars there and all clean and tidy. The chap was very polite and had all the paperwork ready to rock, so I can't fault him there. Just too much monies for me.

this looks good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152063785782?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I found this last year when I was car shopping as well. Couple of places I went didn't even want to get the car out of the garage until a dead was agreed! (not sure if age makes a difference but I was "only" 24 at the time)

As it happens, the one I eventually bought, the guy was great. Got it out the garage and straight out for a test drive. And on my 2nd viewing I asked to see the car from a cold start which again he delivered on :smile:

Ive never had a problem, I'm 24 now, so they oldest I've bought a car is me being 23...

The test drive on my 197 the dealer drove it first with me in it, and lets say this much, went very very fast...

Interesting hearing peoples buying experiences. I have never bought a car from a dealer, never had a good feel from them. At least with a private seller you get a feel for the type of person they are and whether they are being honest. And thats why I have put a deposit on a tidy little 197, no cup chassis, no recaros, but a very nice car all the same. And a very good deal.

I am still on the lookout for the perfect 200 at the right price, but this takes the pressure off completely. I am very much looking forward to collecting it.

renault-renaultsport-clio-renaultsport-197-S2319388-1_zpskkckzo5i.jpg

Congrulations, i am sure you will like 197. I had 197 with same spec but nimbus grey 3 2010-2013 and it was fun car to drive and own.

Just a bit of a follow up...

I bloody love it! It does everything I need to at the moment and is very good when pushed hard. Its not the fastest thing on the road but I found that I couldn't use the SC VX's power all that often anyway. And compared to the vx it is luxurious!

One thing that is irritating me - automatic wipers - is there anyway to make them manual? I hate that the wipers go full soeed when it is just spitting.

Really happy with the seats even though they are not recaros, they hold me in place really well.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Roy Wheels and Tyres 42