Neil's any colour but black (so black) 197

Hi everyone, I’m Neil

I've owned my Clio for a couple of months now and this forum was very helpful in allowing me to pick the right car by knowing what sort of things I should look out for, so I decided to stop being a lurker and become a full member.

I’ve had my Clio for a couple of months now and done a few bit's so thought I'd get a thread up and running

I had a BMW 335i coupe which was mint and I loved it but with the amount of money I had tied up into it, I was always more worried about the cost of each journey than just enjoying the drive. My warranty was about to expire and I decided it was time to move it on.

So the replacement...... it had to be quick and fun so I didn't get bored, still have a few toys as it was my daily, cheaper parts so I could go for more spirited drives/track days without the thought of tyre and brake costs festering in the back of my mind and finally a max of 6K so I could keep it for a while and not have to worry about what it would be worth in the future.

I already had an idea in my mind of a Clio 172/182 but then I was surprised to see that the 197 was in my price range. I remember years ago first seeing one at a place I do courses for work and it always caught my eye every time I went back there. I think the guy still has it now so that says a lot.

After the usual research I decided on the spec I was after on top of the standard kit. This was ......
Xenon headlights
Climate control
Cup chassis
Recaro's
Any colour but BLACK (I've had a few and was sick of the paint work up keep!)

So quite a list then and after a couple of weeks only three turned up in the whole country at the time with the exact spec I wanted. I enquired about them all. Two were form traders, one was sold and the other had a guy on the way with the intention of buying. The third being the cheapest, private but the furthest away, oh and BLACK was still available.

Seeing as the others had sold within 24hours I wasted no time in travelling to Manchester to have a look. The guy on the phone sounded like a really nice guy, was very honest and was also a real driving enthusiast. When I got there he had quite a fleet including a Caterham and a Megane R26 F1 edition. The Megane was low mileage but a little rough so he'd bought it as a project and therefore the Clio was going to make way. After a test drive, a look through the massive wedge of service history and receipts a deal was done.

So after all that waffle, here she is....

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

The drive home was boring! All motorway so I just put the cruise control on and sat back in the amazingly comfortable Recaro's and just relaxed (and got 33mpg as a bonus). The next day I went out to see whats what and WOW, this thing is a go kart! I love having the n/a experience back and I was grinning like an idiot the whole time. It doesn't shove you back in the seat exactly but it just feel's so right, if I'm on a straight road now it just feels like a waste of petrol lol.

I always enjoy having a bit of a play with my cars but first I like them to be 100% mechanically so I drew up a list of things to sort (some asap, some just as and when funds/time allows) It went....

Give the paint a clay, polish, wax, clean & feed all rubber seals etc
Replace the the rear side window door seals
New Tax disc holder
New mats
Fit Citroen spray washer jets
Get air con serviced
Fit a Miltek exhaust system
De tango all indicator bulbs
Sort the Renault (patent pending) peelable steering wheel
Sort some flaking laquer on the front bumper
Possible cup spoiler
Possible ITG pannel filter
Get the 2.5k flat spot mapped out

Looks like a big list but only because I'm picky, it really has been very well looked after by the first two owners. The first guy had it as a company car and then bought it off the company so on the V5 I'm technically the fourth owner.

My first weekend with the car gave me a chance to give it a good clean. After a snow foam and Megs APC on all seals and shuts I clayed it. Was nice to find that very little came off on the clay bar. After that it was polished with Poorboys black hole which looks great on dark paints. I then finished it off with two coats of FK 1000p on the paint and wheels.

IMG_1304.jpg

Next I fitted my new tax disc holder (as previously mentioned, won't be needed much longer)

IMG_1161.jpg

Then I replaced the seals on the leading edge of the rear windows. From what I can gather these are known for deteriorating on 197's and mine looked like the cat had been at them and flapped about while driving :tongueout:aperbag:

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Now I think it was new mats

IMG_1296.jpg

I thought I better get my scuttle looked at after reading a few other people had put it quite high on their list of things to do. So I stripped it all down...

IMG_1201.jpg

...and I'm glad I did. The driver’s side drainage hole was totally blocked

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Everything got unblocked, cleaned and the bolts all got sprayed with gt85. All plastics got bathed in 303 Aerospace and left to soak

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Did the whole bay while I was at it

IMG_1208.jpg

By now I was starting to feel like I was getting somewhere but something was still missing, a Milltek non res cat back system made the car look and sound alot more complete imo

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

I got it fitted at my local Renault dealership as I wanted them to give the car a full check just for piece of mind. They also serviced the air con which is now ice cold. When I got it back the manager said the chief mechanic had commented on how he find’s RS Clio’s usually get treated one of two way's. Either thrashed and poorly maintained or enjoyed by enthusiasts and very well looked after. Thankfully he thought mine was the latter.

By now the only thing that was bugging me was the state of the steering wheel, my wife had a Clio mk3 DCI a few years back that was exactly the same.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

I've only ever read good things about Jack at Royal steering wheels and with an exchange basis the price was a lot lower than I expected. When we spoke I said that I wanted an OEM look but much higher quality and that dreadful zigzag stitching on the red band changed to leather. We arranged a date and he managed to fit me in the day before he was leaving for his summer holiday so I was lucky there. I'm over the moon with the quality of his work, it looks and feels great.

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

Fast forward to last weekend and I thought I'd have a look at the state of my air filter, good to see it was OE, not too healthy though. I know this car has been properly maintained but I think manufacturers make the interval between changes on some items far too long.

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Thanks to KTR I soon had....

IMG_1329.jpg

Also treated her to these all round

IMG_1335.jpg

took the opportunity to do some cleaning while I was at it

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

Next on the list is a brake upgrade, they feel ok but I know they could be alot better. The rears are pretty worn and the front's have alot of meat left on the pads and discs but the discs just look in a sorry state, very corroded. The plan is upgraded Renault Sport rears, upgraded Brembo/KTR front discs with Ferrodo DS2500 pads and a fluid flush/upgrade. I think that should do the trick.

I had DS2500 pads on my Leon Cupra R and would always go for them but I'm not sure about what fluid to use so and recommendations welcome

My rears turned up today, I love new parts!

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Well that's me up to date, in the few weeks I've owned the car I've loved every minute. It's made me really enjoy driving again in the purest form and I find myself getting up early on weekends just so I can enjoy a few windy roads to myself.

Thanks for reading

Welcome buddy! :welcome:

love the car, can see it's loved too. The mods are brilliant, think you've done them in a good order too.

Glad the forum has been of some help :smile:

keep this thread updated as you go along :smile:

Hi mate car looks brill after your hard graft :wink: good read too. Wouldnt mind gettkng my steering wheel sorted like that mate. Any chance of a no for the guy ? . Thanks

Thankyou for the welcome everyone, I'm glad you approve of what I'm trying to do and I'll definitely keep this updated as I go:thumbup:

Hi mate car looks brill after your hard graft :wink: good read too. Wouldnt mind gettkng my steering wheel sorted like that mate. Any chance of a no for the guy ? . Thanks

Thanks mate, the number was 07894 209 349. If you google jack at royal steering wheels the web site is worth a browse if your after ideas.
Cheers

Well thats the final parts ordered for the brake overhaul, Mr Pinks pins, KTR black edition front discs and ferrodo DS2500 pads to go with the megane RS rear set up. Hope it all arrives next week so I can fit it the weekend after. Now I'm just praying for good weather and non corroded pins lol :rain:

Welcome mate, i love how much care and work you're putting in to turn it into a minter. Love the steering wheel, might get mine done even though it's not bad, as that just looks awesome.

Thankyou mate, I feel this one deserves it and I want to get the base right before I start to add anything. I'd definitely recommend getting the wheel done, in the grand scheme it's not that expensive but really lifts the interior and makes it feel a bit posh (if I ignore the saggy glove box and squeaky steering collum trim lol) :d

Tried to fit my brakes today, KTR we're out of stock on the black edition discs so I got Megane R26R discs instead for the same price, cheers KTR :thumbup1:. Rears went on ok but if you imagine worst case scenario with regards to the front pins I think I'm there :swear: Started off on the passenger side, lots of penetrating oil left to soak over night, a decent quality punch thought I was all set. After a good few whacks, boiling water, blowtorch ect all I ended up with were bent pins. I've cut out what i can, tried drilling them out but just snapped all the bits. I've now run out of ideas, tool's and talent so tomorrow I'll be removing the callipers and taking them to a garage or engineering firm to be removed. The first derivers side pin came out fine but the second was business as usual :whatever:

The pads look almost new thickness wise and they are genuine brembo pads but they were corroded in really badly so have been there along time. They definately weren't working to their full potential. I've managed to scrape off all the corrosion, muck and sanded the mating surface back to smooth so with plenty of grease it should all work much better when back together. The brakes will be getting stripped and cleaned yearly in my ownership.

Now it's time for a beer and google some where to help me out tomorrow, Cheers

that sucks..remember when i had them done after purchasing mine..they'd never been done before and the pins were a nightmare..spent 2 days on mine!!if u strip them down once a year u will be absolutely fine.. good progress :thumbup1:

Thanks Pav, I guess most new 197/200 owners will go through something like this unless their really lucky. Glad I ordered the improved pins now

Hi everyone,

Thought it was time I updated this. The good news is the car is going well and is still being used as intended. To go back to where I left things though......

I got the pin's out (or what was left of them) thanks to a great local garage that I've always taken my wife's cars to. Unfortunately I did have to remove the calipers in the end but there was no other way.

Kit already to go, full of hope, of an easy time ha!

IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg

And this is what I was dealing with (I'm sure this will bring back painful memories for some of you lol)

IMG_1368.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg
IMG_1372.jpg

And this is what I was left with....

IMG_1374.jpg

Here you can see the corrosion that I believe was causing the old pads to struggle to move smoothly in the caliper, hence the old but meaty, glazed pads.

IMG_1371.jpg

Still, got it all fitted in the end and flushed and bled through with ATE Racing Blue fluid (more on this stuff later). I went for a test drive and the first time I put my foot on the brake using the normal amount of force and I nearly shot myself through the windscreen lol. Even though over the next few days I was being careful, bedding in the new pads etc, the difference was very obvious and well worth all the blood sweat and (almost) tears.

Next up on the refresh list.... tyres. The car came with two Conti Sport Contact tyres on the back but one was a 3 and one was a 5. They probably had a bit of life left in them but I wanted a matching pair for safety reasons as well as the fact it bugged me.

After much reading and head scratching I had it down to either Michelin PS3's or Goodyear F1 Asy 2's. In the end I went for the Michelin's, there was very little in it but from what I can gather the PS3's are slightly grippier in the wet so that seemed like a good UK option.

IMG_1482.jpg

So far they've been great and fully deserve their reputation, once the Pirelli P-Zero's on the front are dead I'll be putting the Michelins on there as well.

Around the same time I started getting a weird symptom where my boot either wouldn't open at all or would randomly pop open while I was driving. It got to the stage where I had to close the boot and run round to the front, shut the door and press the lock button to stop it from happening lol.

Firstly this looked daft and after a while the boot refused to open more often than not. A search on here and the rest of t-web pointed to water in the boot switch or the connection to it so I stripped the boot lid and cleaned the offending item with WD40. This didn't work and shortly after the switch fell apart in my hand, revealing corroded connectors and a split in the rubber cover. A new one was ordered and it's all back to normal thankfully.

IMG_1474.jpg

A few days after my brake overhaul I noticed my clutch pedal started squeaking, this is properly annoying! After some searching it seems this is what happens when you use ATE Racing Blue brake fluid in a Clio 197/200.

Also in Jan I went to the Auto Sport show at the NEC, I've been a few times and it never disappoints. This year I got a good price on some HEL braided brake lines to finish off my brake overhaul. I'm also taking this opportunity to replace my brake fluid with Motul RBF600 which I'm lead to believe will get rid of my squeaky clutch pedal... So thats this weekends project

IMG_1815.jpg

Last friday Clio went into Renault to have a platinum service and today had a new hand brake cable as the rear brakes were binding on after being parked for any length of time, feels good now.

Ok thats me pretty much upto date, thanks for sticking with it. Hopefully things will get more exciting soon as I'm getting an itch for spacers and lowering springs......

Cheers

Just read the whole thread, good read :smile: Nice to see so much care and attention paid to the car.

Love the R26R discs too, might have to get myself some soon

Similar Thread Suggestions