N/a track car Vs 225 conversion

The best I've used on track was the previous R888. I've read mixed reviews on the R888r so I'm curious to try them this week. (they say environmental regs have negatively impacted the compound)

The lap times I'm going to be comparing to are from a set of Toyo Proxes Sport Road tyres (hence all the squealing in the vid).

Track/ambient temps should be around the same as the other week and so I'm keen to demonstrate the gap between a road tread and a dedicated track tread.

Have you tried Dunlop Direzza DZ03G? One of the best tyres I used on my old cars (I liked the old R888, not used the R888R though).

Have you tried Dunlop Direzza DZ03G? One of the best tyres I used on my old cars (I liked the old R888, not used the R888R though).

I have not, but the reviews are fairly popular.

The car scene here is super expensive (Clio 3 rs here is upwards of 10k for a good one)

Same for after market pricing, way higher than the UK. Ive noticed a lot of the local boys/girls run interstate tyres and nankang etc.

Reactions: suj
Quite a big price difference Suj and with the Direzza only coming with 3.6mm from new running them on the the road you’d need deep pockets! Having said all that they’re unbelievable in the dry. No way the r888r will be near as good imo

Quite a big price difference Suj and with the Direzza only coming with 3.6mm from new running them on the the road you’d need deep pockets! Having said all that they’re unbelievable in the dry. No way the r888r will be near as good imo

Yeah true price difference is higher than I thought (when I used them they were similar price to R888,co still got 6 in the attic from my E36 track car lol).

Also they don't come with 3.6mm, they come with 5mm same as R888 and other high end track tyres. (Unless something has changed in the last 2 years?)
Yeah I wouldn't be using them on the road even though they are marked to be road legal lol.

Reactions: Big Ben
I'll be giving the R888-R a go when I replace the Cup 2s (Which might be sooner than I'd hoped after the front right got damaged on my last track day). Disappointing if its true that the new 888-R isn't as good as the old R888. You'd think with the extra years of development they'd produce a better tyre?

The Yoko A048s are the best tyre I've used on track but at over £200 a pop they should be damn good.

I’ve recently picked up a set of R888R can’t wait to get them used at a Bedford.

Used AR-1s before so could see the comparison albeit at different circuits

I'll be giving the R888-R a go when I replace the Cup 2s (Which might be sooner than I'd hoped after the front right got damaged on my last track day). Disappointing if its true that the new 888-R isn't as good as the old R888. You'd think with the extra years of development they'd produce a better tyre?

The Yoko A048s are the best tyre I've used on track but at over £200 a pop they should be damn good.

Same with AD08RS (the new one, not the R) people are moaning about them being poorer than the R.

Maybe it's down to legislation of materials / requirements not allowing for the same amount of grip (and being road legal)

There’s talk about manufacturers having to meet some sort of environmental pollution targets hence using a slightly different (read worse) compound compared to previous generation tyres.

There’s talk about manufacturers having to meet some sort of environmental pollution targets hence using a slightly different (read worse) compound compared to previous generation tyres.

Yeah this is exactly what I thought might have happened, makes sense really as they punish the automotive industry a lot (especially lately).

Reactions: DS197
Yeah true price difference is higher than I thought (when I used them they were similar price to R888,co still got 6 in the attic from my E36 track car lol).

Also they don't come with 3.6mm, they come with 5mm same as R888 and other high end track tyres. (Unless something has changed in the last 2 years?)
Yeah I wouldn't be using them on the road even though they are marked to be road legal lol.
I’ve misread 3.6mm somewhere on the web then mate. It’s not actually that easy to find the definitive depth after another look round. I’ve always assumed 3.6 but that is awfully low. Might get another set if they are 5mm:tongueout:

• Haha
Reactions: suj and Beany
I run R888Rs on my hillclimb car and drive to and from the events as well. Not as nice on the road as the Cup 2's I swapped out (a bit noisy) but grip from the first corner is much more assured. But then I'm only ever running a mile at most up hills so they may not suit you as much.