My opinion of RAC has rapidly gone down...

Rogue

Platinum Member
So last year i took out a yearly breakdown cover.

Today was the first time I needed it, the van cut out and wouldn't start; at a roundabout of all places. Nightmare!

So after 20 minutes of me trying to get the thing to start, I decide to call RAC out. All goes wlel until he tells me that I don't have cover for this van, the policy was taken out against a different vehicle. I didn't know that the policy only covered a specific vehicle, i just thought it was a membership! Apparently there's 2 types of cover, personal and specific vehicle.

Bloody great!

So he informs me that I can change it over now to get the breakdown cover....at a cost of £25. Really don't have a choice do I. Anyway, he sorts me out a call out and says that I'd see someone around 5:55pm and then proceeds to pass me through to the accounts department to take the £25 payment. Knowing I'm changing my van again in a few weeks, I ask whether it was £25 everytime I have to change the vehicle on the policy and she says no. What she said was "It's £25 now because you require a breakdown call out, if you inform us at any other time, it's free". Talk about take advantage!!

So even thought I've paid for a years cover, they want £25 just to change a reg plate on a computer screen because I need them. If i'd called yesterday it wouldn't have cost me a penny. Ridiculous!!

What annoyed me even more was that it got to 6:25 and he still hadn't turned up. By then i'd fixed by own bloody van and drove off.

Robbing *******s :whatever:

They probably wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire without taking your wallet first

They'll cook up any story to make more cash

So, you bought the wrong cover but somehow it's RAC's fault?

I think you got off lightly with only a £25 charge. They could have refused to help and you'd have been left with getting it towed for about £200.

That's like not changing your car details with insurance company then wondering why they don't pay up after an accident!

RAC sent out 3 vehicles to recover us when we was broken down in our 4x4 then told us that our puppy who was in a carry box thing like a cage couldn't go in the truck and we should put it in the car being towed...... I think not, it was a puppy in a carry case. Heard stories that they won't take kids in the trucks due to health and safety. Been towed in by them and guy was a prick. Didn't feel safe or confident that he knew what he was doing. AA all the way for me

So, you bought the wrong cover but somehow it's RAC's fault?

I think you got off lightly with only a £25 charge. They could have refused to help and you'd have been left with getting it towed for about £200.

That's like not changing your car details with insurance company then wondering why they don't pay up after an accident!

I think you're missing the point because you didn't read it properly.

Firstly, I didn't know there was two policy's. secondly, if it was £25 to change over anytime of the year, I wouldn't of cared...but any other time it's free. Simply because I actually needed to use them, I was charged.

That Chris, is bending people over a barrel.

Clearly if its free any other time of the year, they're just taking the piss to charge you just because you need them.

I think you're missing the point because you didn't read it properly.

Firstly, I didn't know there was two policy's. secondly, if it was £25 to change over anytime of the year, I wouldn't of cared...but any other time it's free. Simply because I actually needed to use them, I was charged.

That Chris, is bending people over a barrel.

Clearly if its free any other time of the year, they're just taking the piss to charge you just because you need them.

Nope, no point missed and read in full.

They are a business, it's a simple case of supply an demand. If you could freely change vehilces whenever you want it would make the single vehicle policy obsolete.

Personal cover is more expensive than vehicle cover for obvious reasons, and the difference in cover is made very clear on the website. How did you join in the first place? Did you read the agreement that came through the post after joining? Somewhere it will be made clear that it is your vehicle that is covered, not you.

Anyway, chalk it up to experience. I had the same argument about admin fees to change details on my insurance policy. I moaned about it until I realised I'd agreed to it in my policy, that's my fault for not reading, not theres for charging it.

RAC are robbing *******s, when the 172 broke down at Cadwell in Feb I didn't have recovery. Regardless phoned RAC to join and get recovery I was told it'd be £120 membership and £200 for the recovery on a flatbed.

Soon as the cars strapped onto the truck mechanic rings his firm who then want to speak to me, now the cars on the truck it's an extra £150 they want because the distance is over their cap. So I pay.

And then once the journey has begun they ring again! Now it's another £80! This time for an admin fee for not being a previous member.

******s

RAC are robbing *******s, when the 172 broke down at Cadwell in Feb I didn't have recovery. Regardless phoned RAC to join and get recovery I was told it'd be £120 membership and £200 for the recovery on a flatbed.

Soon as the cars strapped onto the truck mechanic rings his firm who then want to speak to me, now the cars on the truck it's an extra £150 they want because the distance is over their cap. So I pay.

And then once the journey has begun they ring again! Now it's another £80! This time for an admin fee for not being a previous member.

******s

flipping eck thats like backing you in to a corner!!! pay up or we will just leave you stranded in a way :swear:

i have rac via tesco club card points....never used it "yet" :s

RAC are a bunch of cock jockies, they'll never get my money again, leaving two members stranded on a motorway I cancelled my membership (and mate did) still keep sending me crap through the post, I just send it back in the pre paid envelopes.

I was a bit annoyed with the RAC too. The cover was the new car cover on the Mazda and when the turbo failed, then sent a contractor to look at the car. Waited ages despite telling them it needed recovering. The guy turned up, stalled his own van, started the car and then called a recovery truck. Took bloody ages, the guy in the truck hadn't got a clue what he was doing either. Very nearly took the front bumper off the car. Got it towed home and the next day they sent a different contractor to collect the car to take it to the dealer. Wasn't that impressed overall with the time I had to wait and the fact they used contractors that didn't seem to know what they were doing.