My next car

I think i have finally found the car i want as my next. A Seat Leon TDi FR.

As we have a baby on the way, a 5 door car would be much easier for us both. It's still a fairly 'sporty' car but with good MPG.

So now all i need to do is sell the 197 :worried:

Have you driven one? I looked at getting a Cupra, but the interior wasn't great, the quality wasn't great and the brakes were uber sharp! That and all the Seat dealers were useless is the reason why I now have a Mazda MPS!

lol nope not driven one and i went to look at one today and was quite impressed with the interior, well it's better than the clio's was my first thought anyway.
I've actually been looking at the Mazda 3's on the internet (obviously not an MPS unfortunately) but the 2.0 d sport (or something along those lines) and i do quite like the look of them especially with full leather interior.
TBH, i don't think there is much out there which suits me :worried:

Congrats on the news
I like the seats aswell hope you find the one you like

Yes, sorry Em, congrats. I see on Facebook your surname has changed now too!!!!!! Haha!

The seat interior isn't that bad.

Shoot me down in a ball of flames here but i test drove a new mps in Feb this year before I brought my new focus st and the one of the things that stopped me signing on the dotted for it was the interior. Don't get me wrong I know I drive a tacky clio 200 but after 20 mins inside the mps I wanted to either slice my wrists or have it broken into as the smashed glass would make the interior a Damn sight more interesting......its shocking

The seat interior isn't that bad.

Shoot me down in a ball of flames here but i test drove a new mps in Feb this year before I brought my new focus st and the one of the things that stopped me signing on the dotted for it was the interior. Don't get me wrong I know I drive a tacky clio 200 but after 20 mins inside the mps I wanted to either slice my wrists or have a head one as the smashed glass would make the interior a Damn sight more interesting

You honestly prefer the interior in a Leon? I'm not saying the mps is the car of the gods by a long way, nor am I suggesting the 3 is a better car, it's all personal opinion. And if you bought a Focus because the interior is more interesting then I'm shocked! That has to be the most boring interior in the world! Lol! But I thought the worst thing was the interior of the Leon, closely followed by the un-useable brakes that throw you through the windscreen!

Last edited:
I loved the mps. I really did. Just let down by interior and no option of 3 door. Lived the front and back end and the fun factor but the focus was better value (I worked for Ford at the time) and the handling and 5 pot were better than the mps. Give me my old P1 impreza anyway over these modern pieces of pooh.

Ps I didn't mean to offend :smile:

No, I didn't really take offence, but I was a bit shocked you prefered the interior on the Leon over the Mazda and then bought a Focus, which other than the nice extra dials on the ST has to have one of the most boring interiors I have ever seen! The Mk 1 Focus was a bit too funky, but the Mk 2 was just downright plain! Lol!

But back on topic, make sure you drive the Leon Emz. You might love it, but I didn't. So that's my advice, make sure you get a good test drive.

Thanks Arran and Roy. Arran, we got married last Sunday so thats why the change of surname lol :smile:

I definetely will test drive one to make sure it is the right car. I did also like the Audi A3 S Line, not sure on engine yet, but isn't it like the same car really?
I think what i will do first is sell my 197 and then wait for the right car to come along as i'm a fussy so and so. :001_rolleyes: Should get more money that way too. I would like to get a PX price first though.

The A3 does share bit with the Leon and Golf as far as I know, but the Audi is much more upmarket and you pay for it. I looked at them too. But the S3 was a bit dear and I wanted that kind of performance - which btw looks very good on paper! Never actually test drove one though, but the engines are similar to those in the Leon. The Leon is the cheaper and slightly more practical A3.

Love Volvo's designs over the past few years. They do produce some good diesels, the 2.0l is a good combination between power and economy. I would always go estate with Volvo's though, they hold their money much better and IMO look a bit smarter too, as well as the added practicality.

A mate of mine has a Type R. It's got some cleaver little things, like the rear seats have nothing underneath them so you can put shopping there or whatever, the boot is huge and everything feels well built.

Personally I think they look hideous inside and out, but my mate loves his. The only thing he doesn't love is when it breaks down. I think the last one was 6 times. The battery is tiny, so running anything off the battery for any longer than a couple of minutes means the battery dies and the AA have to bring out a jump pack to get the car going again.

Having said that, the 2.2 diesel is meant to be one of the best diesel engines available on the market and I'm not sure if the Type R and the diesel will share the battery trouble. My guessing is the diesel will have a bigger, more powerful one fitted.

Hey Emily,

Congrats on both pieces of great news! :smile:

I suspect you wants something fairly nippy, but you have to watch the 170PS VAG unit, as it has a load of problems with injectors and the DPF sensors - my mate has one with the BTCC kit on and he's had a nightmare with it lately.

The 140PS engine is much better, a bit punchier too and remaps to 185bhp or so, plus is more economical. You can get the facelift Leon's in 'FR' spec with the 140PS engine, which is a great all rounder, or maybe take a look at a GT TDI Golf Mk5.

Don't rule out the TSI engine (160hp) either, as it's very economical for a petrol engine.

Otherwise, there's an SR Auris which is 180hp and Mazda do a 2.2D Mazda3 which is supposed to be okay.

Russ.

I've just bought a mondeo st tdci dirt cheap! Really nice to drive leather heated seats, cruise, parking sensors...... It's a really nice car

A mate of mine has an Auris SR 2.2 diesel and he does a lot of stop start driving. He drives quite quick and is still getting 28-30 mpg. It really does feel very quick and is nice inside, with good equipment. But he has been having issues with the a/c and the heating. He's just spent £1500 having this white powder that was coming from the vents repaired and now the climate ecu has gone! There doesn't seem to be any cars that are reliable any more! Never had any kind of problems like that with my Clio! Ha ha!

The Mazda diesel is meant to be ok, but it's not particularly economical or clean. I was talking with a friend about the 6 2.2d last weekend. He's in a similar situation, wants something more economical than his v6 MG ZS.

Similar Thread Suggestions