my home made air intake vent

ryan197

POW right in the kisser
Platinum Member
thought i would have ago at making open air intake vent to replace the grill. pretty pleased with the result.

brought a standard clio (non sport) grill off ebay £15 including dilivery.

standardcliogrill.jpg

masking tape all round to mark an edge to cut, first went around just lightly cutting it with a dremel, then slowly started to cut stopping often to clear the melted plastic using a stanly knife.

cutthebackout.jpg

then trimmed of the odd flat/mis-shaped edges using an stanly knife, and then wet rubbed the edges using very fine sandpaper.

finishedaticlejustwetpaperedges.jpg

back view

finishedfromtheback.jpg

on the car

oncarcloser.jpg

oncarevencloser.jpg

onthecar.jpg

Last edited:
yeh took a while to cut as the melted plastic was every where, had to keep stopping to clear it of the line.

looks a bit odd Lol maybe its just me needing everything symetrical . . . .how loong this take you mate?

ahhh my air intake is on passengers side of car how have you chaneld the air?

Did you have to use a filler or something to smooth out the bits where the vertical bits were ?

This is a much better option that the carbon intake I had as for that you had to cutrhe bumper thus losing ALOT of rigidity in the bumper.

I will be doing this asap .

top work there :thumbup1::thumbup1:

if it was for me i would do both vents :thumbup:

That looks really good! :thumbup:

Like Foxspeed said I would have to have matching ones but if you are happy then thats the main thing!

i havent channel anything behind it yet, was going to try and fibre glass a box behind channel it into the duct but it maybe to much effort. i may velcro some black rubber mat behind it, to tidy it up so one you cant see the inside of the light/ cables and front beam, and it may smooth the step out, but mainly to tidy up. got some black rubber mat at work.

Did you have to use a filler or something to smooth out the bits where the vertical bits were ?

This is a much better option that the carbon intake I had as for that you had to cutrhe bumper thus losing ALOT of rigidity in the bumper.

no filler, if you look at one of the pics you will see wat i cut out, i cut round the circumference of the vent so that the vertical bit were inside the bit i cut off, if you know wat i mean. i still had to cut the webbed part of the bumper behind the standard 197 grill, wouldnt say it weakened it, oh, and you will have to cut off the hooked clip at the top nearest the light and it was spaced different and kept catching in a cut out in the upper lip of the bumper causing it not to sit right, cut mine off and it sitted lush. next fing is to velcro some black rubber mat to hide some of the things behind it.

i think you need to do both sides though looks kinda out of place for me because they are both odd looking

Carbon vent your bonnet like mine!!

Good work Ryan!

Tbh now knowing you still have to cut the uprights I will not do this it DOES make te top right hand side of the bumper less rigid as thee is nothing linking the main section of the bumper to the top.

And for high speeds and track days that less than ideal.

keV is there a link to your project thread ?