My first month with the 197

ashtons99

Gold Member
Well Ive made it through my first 4 weeks with my ultra red RS, its a 2007 and certainly cheaper and older than any car Ive had in a while.

In the time Ive had the car it has locked me out, the battery has gone flat, it had a small oil leak on the rocker cover, the reverse light switch has packed in and it kangaroos a bit when its cold ..

BUT......

I absolutely love the car

It has great appeal, in red it looks amazing and for a 5 year old car the paint is stunning, I never walk away from it without a second glance back. It has 18" Speelines and H&R so the ride at times at slow speed can be a bit harsh but that is more than compensated for once the speedo rises up.

The cars handling and performance are just wonderfully balanced, not mind blowing but thrilling in a different way. Yes you have to keep it well stirred get the best out of it but its great fun playing with the balance of the car on the throttle.

Im getting the best part of 30 to the gallon (26 on the computer) and the car is comfy on decent runs. Im very very pleased with it.

Ive spent a bit on some new speedline centre caps, some heko deflectors and just bought a new steering wheel as mine has the beginnings of the peeling problem. Ive also rekindled my interest in detailing as the ultra red is a great colour to polish.

Anyway...thats it for now

+3 on the lookback!!! :smiley:

Glad you're enjoying it and you haven't jumped on the ''erhmagerd, a problem, French cars are sh!t'' bandwagon. :thumbsup:

Ive had mine 2months now?

I was quite worried coming from a 300bhp RWD, Bose system, heated leather seats, cruise control etc etc etc..... but ive never had so much fun!

It reminds me of my first ever mk1 1.4RT, and just makes you smile! And GW is simply stunning when polished up!

+3 on the lookback!!! :smiley:

Glad you're enjoying it and you haven't jumped on the ''erhmagerd, a problem, French cars are sh!t'' bandwagon. :thumbsup:

Make that +4......

My 182 Cup died...... So went out and bought a UR 197, with Cup suspension, in amazing condition.

What a car.

Every trip, short or long, has a feel good factor. Little quirks etc (like the kangarooing) let you know it's not a run of the mill shopping cart, and it grips and goes like a tarmac special when you want it to.

Love it. Always makes me smile.

In the time Ive had the car it has locked me out, the battery has gone flat, it had a small oil leak on the rocker cover, the reverse light switch has packed in and it kangaroos a bit when its cold ..

BUT......

I absolutely love the car

As if I wrote it...
Replaced the battery, thermostat, mirror adjuster, engine mounts..strange that none of this bothers me. When I start the damn thing in the morning the sun begins to shine... :smile:

Had mine coming up 3 months now and still do the look back pretty much every time I get out of her.

So far ** touch wood ** no problems with mine and get excited at every chance I get to drive it.