My first ever go at light painting!

Howdy, this was my first ever go at lightpainting last night, quickly realised when I put them in photoshop that I need a light diffuser for my maglite as you can see the lines where the torch was shining, all in all I don't think they are too bad though, will be heading out towards the end of the week to take some more.

Also I realised its alot easier to light paint a white car than a black, as I tried to do my mates Polo GTi and realised that half of the car was still pitch black even though I spent 30 seconds shining light over it!

Cliofront1600_zps211d20b8.jpg

ClioSide1600_zpsfe60dab6.jpg

Frontofpolo1600_zpsc40fb48a.jpg

Tried to recover the polo by just having its nose poking out but didn't work that well!

Cheers and opinions welcome

Ian :smile: :thumbup1:

You must be talented they good shots!you should come on our next Hartside meet and get some good ones:thumbup1:Wish i new how to use a DSLR camera ha!

Cheers mate, when is the meet? Will definitely be attending some NW meets with the camera so you will see me around!

24th march mate only prob we are NE,might have a run down to some the NW meets though:thumbup1:

Ahh right, just noticed your username haha. If you manage to get down to any NW meets give us a shout, I tend to do alot of trackdays around and about as well so if you ever do any of that you may see me around :smile:

Looks good does that mate. Never seen it done before.

Do you take multiple images of different parts of the car lit up then merge them together?
Or do you just take one long exposure, shining the torch on the bits of the car you want lit up?

Cheers everyone! you can do either mate, if you have a trigger release (which I don't) you can do as long as you want meaning technically you can do the full car in one exposure! or you can just set your camera to 30 second exposures on a sturdy tripod (use a 2 second delay to stop any wobble from you pressing the button) then basically shine the torch on whichever part of the car you want to start with, then do it all the way around the car, will take a while to judge how long you need to spend on each one (depends on how strong your light source is)

once your done put them into photoshop (not sure if you can do it in lightroom as I have never used it) always shoot in RAW for this type because its easier to control colours, JPEG's dont agree with light painting for some reason! then once youve sorted them all out in the RAW editor put them into photoshop and layer on (I did one at a time to stop confusion) then layer mask over them and paint where you want to see :smile: not a very good explanation mind, if your confused on anything give me a shout I'd be more than happy to talk you through it

Basically its using a DSLR, you take long exposure photographs in pitch black, shine a torch around different sections of the car to just like that bit up then merge them altogether!

this was my first attempt and know what I need to do to make it perfect now so will be going ahead on friday :smile:
Wow that takes some skill then, really impressed with the results looks amazing. I really have no idea about photography lol