My Clio isn't a drag car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of which is irrelevant on my commute to work which is dual carriageway. You can have the best chassis in the world, it's not a great deal of use in a straight line.

Yes they are good fun in the bends and no doubt on trackdays, but with regards to the 95% of real world driving, they really are nothing to shout about. IMO.

Er..why did you buy a Clio then? I'm sure there are several quick cars in a straight line out there for your version of 95% of real driving. I'm not having a dig or anything but nobody said the Clios are quick, not even the people who awarded them:wink:
Clio excels at a spirited drive/track. That's it. If someone buys them for anything but that they will be disappointed.

So I believe it's time for you to sell and move on mate:wink:

Last edited:
Whipped again

I'm going to sum all of this up quite quickly.

1; You bought the wrong car.
2; Traffic light GP's are for 17 year olds.
3; You're asking the Clio to do something it wasn't designed for.

I'm out, better things to do and more interesting stuff to read.

I wouldn't have bought one for a dual carriage way commute everyday. Boooorning,

Thank God mines 120 miles of pure B road! :smile: so it's perfect for me

Mines about a 2 minute walk so the clio is only for weekend Hooning and I'll I've got around me......countryside and some awesome back roads :smile:

well go then ! not talking about traffic light gp's read the thread i was talking about in gear speed !

Nail. On. Head.

Jay as overs have said the Clio's really aren't straight line cars.

Get them on a track and they are just different level.

I read it thanks Jay, fully understood that your 150lbFt car is being outdragged by diesel cars with more torque and that they can achieve that at low engine speeds whilst you're still waiting for your engine to wake up and join the party. I think it's you who hasn't understood what the car is or maybe how to get the best out of it.

It's not hard to figure out is it, say you're in second gear doing 30MPH at around 4,000RPM for example and your engine is probably making something like 120lbFt, if that, at that point. The big oil burning VAG thing next to you at the same speed in second or third gear will be making more torque at a lower engine speed. You both put your foot down, you're below the powerband but he isn't so his takes off like a stabbed rat and yours goes "bwaaaaarrr" whilst it's waiting for the cams to lift and give you some grunt. Thus leaving you rocking in your seat and swearing about how slow your hot hatch is.

It isn't slow (unless yours is poorly, has the cambelt been changed and if so is the timing correct), they're not bad at all in a straight line but it's not their strongpoint either. In gear times aren't too bad either all things considered but you have to keep them on the boil, i.e; above 5,500RPM. That engine comes alive on track or on a good road, as a package the car is untouchable for the price point.

If your saying about in gear speed/pull then you shouldn't have gone for a N/A car surely?

Doesnt sound like like the Clio is for you, so maybe if you want to win all your drag races, next weekend have a wander down to nissan. Part with the 200, return home in a GTR...problem solved.

You put straight line speed is for pussies yet it just happens that the new 200edc is a fair bit faster in a straight line than the outgoing 200...

dont think the single stand alone reason Ashton changed from a 200 to a 200T was purely for its advantage in straight line speed?

At a guess, perhaps he likes the brand, loved his 200 and so wanted to move onto the newer model?

IMO...

Troll.

You moaning to a bunch of people who love their cars about how s**t you think yours is... If you don't like it sell it.

Thought ClioSport is were most people like you post on lol...

Last edited:
You bought the wrong car, get a big yank V8 auto barge or a large turbo'd diesel auto tank of some description.
Then you'll be king of the kids & able to do up plenty of stuff in a straight line, just don't ask it to stop or go around corners & definitely don't take it anywhere near a track (except as a tow wagon).
Much safer option if your lacking in the talent department too as all you need do is put it in D for dumbarse, stamp on the loud pedal (its the big one on the right) & away you go = instant traffic light hero.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.