197: MPG Running Costs vs 250 Meg

Been looking at some brilliant low mileage used offers on 250 Meg's recently and am really considering chopping the Clio in for one..

Just wondered what peoples general knowledge was of the running costs in comparison with my 197 were likely to be and what the things are to watch out for? I.E things prone to repair etc..

I'm currently looking at a white 250 with recaros and full cup pack :smile: only done 21k!

My 11' plate Megane has been flawless so far and other than servicing has wanted nothing, no common faults either from looking at megsport.net but again its early days.

My trip computer is reading 28.6mpg over the past 3000 miles. Thats majority commuting mixed A/B roads in traffic.

(edit) http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/renault/megane-coupe-2009/renaultsport-250

I'm considering it.. I've drove a Meg and was really impressed, it feels so much more of a "proper" car than the Clio does and looking at fuel figures, not much difference between the Clio.. I bet you can out-do the Clio on fuel with the right driving?

Of course, your journey type plays the biggest factor.

But the way i look at it; why pay high running costs for the Clio when you can pay the same/slightly less and run the Meg instead? They share the same tax band, the MPG is better than the 24'ish i got from the 200 on the same journey and the insurance was slightly cheaper for me as well.

The only increased cost I've noticed so far is the price of the tyres compared with the 200's 17".

Last edited:
Of course, your journey type plays the biggest factor.

But the way i look at it; why pay high running costs for the Clio when you can pay the same/slightly less and run the Meg instead? They share the same tax band, the MPG is better than the 24'ish i got from the 200 on the same journey and the insurance was slightly cheaper for me as well.

The only increased cost I've noticed so far is the price of the tyres compared with the 200's 17".

That's exactly the way I'm thinking of it to be honest and the cabin/feel of the Megane is considerably less French than the Clio.. :tongueout:roud:

I think it's a nicer place to be and in all honesty, don't mind being 2mpg worse off for it.. I think on a longer journey the Meg surely would do better on fuel no? The Clio's screaming for another gear at 70...

Tyres wouldn't bother me too much, I get a great deal from a retailer at the moment :smile:

And the cost of the car surely? unless some form of PCP on the same monthly cost or something?

Thats not a running cost though? I suppose it could be argued depreciation is in a way. Either way for me at least a lightly used 250 was cheaper than a new 200 but it depends what you want to compare, new vs new, used vs new, used vs used etc.

No way can I get anymore than 32mpg into meg but then again I can't get more than 33mpg in the Clio.

But I usually get 30 out the Clio and 27 out of the meg across the tanks.

As for reliability. When I've spoke to the garages the Mk3 Meg as I whole get very few warranty claims. I use the trophy regular on track and apart from tyres and pads I've not had to do anything, not even oil!

On long run's at around 68mph 47 mpg to and from work 32s mpg and track days 9,s to 11s as every one as said just tyres.

That is impressive. I get 24-26mpg on a 3 mile drive to work daily, 28-31 on a run. Horrible car the 197 is to drive on a motorway.

Thats not a running cost though? I suppose it could be argued depreciation is in a way. Either way for me at least a lightly used 250 was cheaper than a new 200 but it depends what you want to compare, new vs new, used vs new, used vs used etc.

I agree, you're getting a lot more car than the 200 in more ways than just performance.

No way can I get anymore than 32mpg into meg but then again I can't get more than 33mpg in the Clio.

But I usually get 30 out the Clio and 27 out of the meg across the tanks.

As for reliability. When I've spoke to the garages the Mk3 Meg as I whole get very few warranty claims. I use the trophy regular on track and apart from tyres and pads I've not had to do anything, not even oil!

That's good to know, The Clio on the other hand...........

That is impressive. I get 24-26mpg on a 3 mile drive to work daily, 28-31 on a run. Horrible car the 197 is to drive on a motorway.

I agree, you're getting a lot more car than the 200 in more ways than just performance.

This!

After my test drive i could see the Megane being a lot nicer to live with day to day than the clio. Dont get me wrong, when you're "on it" the clio is great. For day to day life though the clio just grates on me most of the time.

This!

After my test drive i could see the Megane being a lot nicer to live with day to day than the clio. Dont get me wrong, when you're "on it" the clio is great. For day to day life though the clio just grates on me most of the time.

Well said, having that solid jerky ride and tiresome engine does grate on you. When I drove the Meg it felt beautifly refined at low speeds. The Clio is only comfortable when it's being thrashed.

For the sake of being a few MPG worse off, I'd happily fork out for a 250/265.

I'm not sure about you, but I find myself disliking the Clio more than liking it for day to day!

What's happened with your car?

Steering knock / More feedback off my dead nan than through the steering wheel.

EPAS - Replaced
Column - Replaced
Rack - Replaced
Offside inner and outer hub assy - Replaced.

Only took 18months for them to even start investigating.

Steering knock / More feedback off my dead nan than through the steering wheel.

EPAS - Replaced
Column - Replaced
Rack - Replaced
Offside inner and outer hub assy - Replaced.

Only took 18months for them to even start investigating.

Renault build quality I think... I think with the Clio being effectively a less prestigious car than the Megane they probably don't take half as much effort in building it. What symptoms did you get from the steering rack being off? I am findnig my steering very light at the moment..

Renault build quality I think... I think with the Clio being effectively a less prestigious car than the Megane they probably don't take half as much effort in building it.

Id say its partly that, but also largely because the Megane Mk3 platform is a brand new design whereas the Clio Mk3 platform is from 2005. So any lessons learnt will have been incorporated into the Megane.

It's your lead boots Simon :kiss:

I would say i had a light boot?

thing is there are too many country roads round here so you are constantly overtaking lorries and tractors which is far easier to do in the meg so i tend to do it more than in the clio were i can't be arsed to drop it from 6th to 3rd.

In the meg you are in a different gear and you can just squeeze without going down the box.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tomc197 Clio General Chat 5
Jools Clio 197 Area 21
L Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake 22
E1bert Clio General Chat 17
Gus Clio General Chat 17