MOT Emissions test

Hi guys, just got my car back from the MOT which it passed with flying colours!

However I have just noticed on the CO emissions you can have a limit of <=0.200%. Mine registered at -0.002% lol. Does this mean it is sucking in carbon monoxide? :tongue_smilie: (I know that its probably not haha)

Also on this note, I know that decat's pass MOT's but what levels do they read at?

do decats pass the mot emissions test?

they shouldnt! thats the whole reason for the "cat" as it converts "bad" gases in to "good" gases...

do decats pass the mot emissions test?

they shouldnt! thats the whole reason for the "cat" as it converts "bad" gases in to "good" gases...

I was just going by what some users on here have previously said and was just curious to what the levels from the test was (that is if it does pass the test and the ignoring the legality of having a decat)

When I had my decat Miltek fitted they tested the emissions....

Just dug out the paperwork and it reads as follows:

Test date 13/09/2010

OE System

Description Limits Reading

Fast Idle Test
Engine Speed 2500-3000 rpm --
CO Max 0.20% 0.00%
HC Max 200 ppm 9 ppm
Lambda 0.97-1.03 1.0

Natural Idle Test
Engine Speed 450-1500 rpm --
CO Max 0.30% 0.00%

---------------------------------------------------------

Full Miltek System with Decat pipe

Description Limits Reading

Fast Idle Test
Engine Speed 2500-3000 rpm --
CO Max 0.20% 0.00%
HC Max 200 ppm 21 ppm
Lambda 0.97-1.03 1.0

Natural Idle Test
Engine Speed 450-1500 rpm --
CO Max 0.30% 0.02%

As you can see its an easy pass and even if emissions limits have been slightly tightened since then its still way under

Very nice to know, thanks Angel! 8)

Oh sorry Fox, just saw your reply... I should of specified I was curious as to the levels of just the main cat being chopped, not the pre cat, even though those figures would also be interesting...

put it another way - if the car/engine can pass the test without a cat why fit it...

i have done more work on diesels over the past few years then petrols so a bit rusty without consulting my course work but the whole point of the 3-way cat is nox / hc / co reduction

Plenty of 'friendly' MOT testers around. Much easier than replacing a cat if needed

you might not even have to do that - it could do it without one to meet the emission standards - you would come unstuck on the "no-cat" fitted legislation recently introduced

most on here with de-cats just have the second one removed but theres still the manifold one in position - be interesting to see results of both types of "de-cat"...

having said that just because one car may pass with a de-cat doesnt mean another or all will pass - there is engine issues that can cause failures :worried:

Last edited: