Mild Steel Exhausts.

Looking for a sporty exhaust for my other car, which due to its rarity is proving difficult, and theres a real bargain full system on ebay for only £270. Unfortunatly its mild steel though.

Now i always said i dont see the point in mild steel exhausts as a couple of years down the line they're rotten as a pear and need replacing anyway ( the whole buy cheap, buy twice ).

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this dilemma??? With the harsh snowy winters we suffer recently and the tons on salt on the road its hard to argue the mild steels case.

Stainless system is about three times as much though!

They both have pros and cons, although SS normally outweighs on the pros.

Some say that mild is better for performance gains due to the way mild transfers heat
Mild is more malleable and far more resistant to fatigue compared to stainless, but mild suffers more at weld joints.
Mild is generally heavier, concidering length and the required cross section.
Mild corrodes easier, but they can have special coatings such as aluminumizing to help prolong the life of the metal, but if the coating is damaged, the inevitable happens.
Mild is known to give a deep more rawty(sp?) sound, compared to the higher, louder more raspy sound of SS
SS looks nicer unless you have an SS tip on a mild system.
SS will outlast the car if its T304 and kept in perfect condition
SS is more expensive (as noted)

Personally for a daily car id "sod the expense" and get SS everytime, if your other car is more of a weekender and spends more time dry stored then mild is definately an option.

The system is aluminiumised mild steel with a stainless tip and comes with a 30 month warranty.

Its going on a 3ltr V6 so i'd prefer a deeper muscle car sound.

The system is aluminiumised mild steel with a stainless tip and comes with a 30 month warranty.

you could after 30 month coat it in heat resistant paint to stop some of the corrosion - it is aluminiumised so will not rust that quickly

Ahh i see a proper "ring" tool :wiz:

No that job falls to the clio with adjustable coilovers, roll cage and harnesses, duh lol!

The sierra xr4xr is a very rare motor and its in amazing condition for its year, i wouldnt track it for the world lol. Purely a small mechanical restoration, full respray and keep her locked in the garage for summer.

I had a few quotes for a custom SS system, round about £500 - £600.

Can't help with the exhaust dilemma, but great car. My Dad had an 86 Mk1 and an 88 Mk2 (both 2.8's IIRC) both bought new, and run one after the other, the 86 got nicked and burned out, before being replaced with the 88.

I had a '92 2.9 briefly back in 2000, so grunty!

Sierra xr4x4 2.9 :tongueout: shes an 89 matey lol, old girl.

No that job falls to the clio with adjustable coilovers, roll cage and harnesses, duh lol!

The sierra xr4xr is a very rare motor and its in amazing condition for its year, i wouldnt track it for the world lol. Purely a small mechanical restoration, full respray and keep her locked in the garage for summer.

I had a few quotes for a custom SS system, round about £500 - £600.

As its a resto project and a v6 id go for the mild then buddy if your getting a sweet price :smile:

As said the mild will give that old skool low down muscle sound :smile:

Just give it a thorough going over every 12 months or so to check none of the coating has flaked :smile:

I dare say it won't even see a wet road, especially as the 197 isn't even used in the wet and that's an 09 shiny car lol.