Mentoring at Work

Thought you guys may be able to give me some advice...

So ive been at my new place of work for around 2 months now as a casual member of staff. Last week I gained a contract for permanent work.

Basically, I want to get into Leisure Management and as im at the start of my career, I want to make sure I take all the right steps to achieving that goal. What I was wondering is whether it would be wrong (rude, out of line or whatever) to ask the manager of the centre if he (or another manager) could mentor me in some form to ensure I take the right steps and so that I can take tips from him so that I can learn about what is needed to become successful.
(whether this being through meetings, shadowing/helping with some of their projects etc)
Would this be stepping on other peoples' toes?

I have already had a Duty Managing job at another Leisure Centre, whilst I was at Uni but I want to give myself all the chances possible to get into the role that I want.

Is this something that is commonplace in other industries?
Ive never personally seen it in the Leisure industry.
I said in my interview last week that my long term goal was to get into management and, that essentially, I dont want to be a Gym Instructor/Personal Trainer my whole career, which obviously went down well, as 1. I got the job and 2. When I was arranging a meeting with my line manager to gain feedback on my interview, she said I scored 38/40 anyway and there wasn't really anything I could have done better (which I dont believe, always room for improvement).
The manager of the Leisure Centre is a really nice guy to add, always happy to help, and after my first week there, he told my line manager that he really likes me and my ambition.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Spose asking cant do any harm? Would also look good on you being keen to progress yourself?

I know nothing about that industry but by suggesting it I can't see why they wouldn't be anything but impressed. If I were them I'd be impressed you came up with the suggestion.

It might be more productive for you to assist him 1 day a week so you see what they do and help them out, they get a free assistant. Win win.

^ That was my thought. See if I can help him with certain projects or something, so that I can gain necessary skills for that type of job and also find out how he structures his time etc.

The only thing that kinda worries me is that others may think im a bummer/treading on peoples' toes, as theres alot of others in the centre that have worked long and hard to get where they are.

I would go for it. More than anything asking to shadow a manager at times or be mentored will own show you being pro-active and passionate about where you are working.

Some of the other stuff may get annoyed with it but that will be out of envy, it happens in most work places when staff start to get higher and higher up the food chain. But then again it might not happen but I wouldn't let this put you off, after all its your career not their's.

First, dont worry about people getting annoyed.
And yes you should do it, what's the worst he can say....no. And if he does then oh well you just carry on as normal having lost nothing but the manager also knows that your commited to 'climbing up'. So its win win IMO. I did similar thing at work when i started last year. I work in construction and asked my line manager if it would be possible to sit in on some of the 'big' meetings where possible to get a better understanding of how the business works, or some bull**** like that. All i really wanted to do was make sure directors etc knew who i was.
There's no harm in asking, they'll be pleased you had the guts and initiative to ask rather than being happy with your lot.

Yes definitely should do!! I have started out in a completely new career at the beginning of the year, I had to prove myself over the first 3 months and IMO if you don't ask you don't get! Go for it, as above there is nothing bad that can come out of it. They will more than likely welcome the support - they should!

Any decent company should have a mentoring or coaching policy.

Companies who invest in training and development for their staff benefit by higher productivity and increased retention rates, it's a proven fact!