Melting Steering Wheel

Hello, I know there have been numerous threads about this but I need some advice.

My steering wheel has started to melt.....it's only very slight at the moment and seems to have happened 'overnight'

Now here is deal.....My car is going in for the warranty work (well maybe, they still haven't agreed to fix it yet... Squeaky Brakes, Noisy Air-Con)

How should i approach the steering wheel, my car is only 14 months old, if i moan and get them to replace it now, there is a risk it will need replacing again before i sell it....Will i get this type of warrant repair twice?

Also does anyone have any advice with regards to dealing with Renault regarding my squeaky brakes, they are telling me it's because i live near the sea and it's salt related corrosion, we all know this is not true.

Thanks for your advice guys

Ben

Yours definitely sounds like a faulty wheel. Mine is a 57 plate and the wheel has just started to melt on both sides.

I've had 3 in 5 years and they say you only get 12 months warranty but you go through ren uk and they foot most of the bill

Just on the squeaky brakes, they are covered for noise on 200s upto 24k or 24 months iirc as per January 2012 rcl release.

It will only happen again though, its a coating on the actually leather that causes this. I've no idea what it is, but I've had a close look and its not the leather itself.

Do you think they would pay for a retrim, rather then buy another one in?

It will only happen again though, its a coating on the actually leather that causes this. I've no idea what it is, but I've had a close look and its not the leather itself.

Do you think they would pay for a retrim, rather then buy another one in?

No chance:whatever:

Yep, they'll just replace steering wheel like for like under warranty mate. You then have to risk it might happen again like you say.

Mine went in less than 2 years/15000 miles!! Not good!

Once it started to go it really started to go bad very quickly and i personally couldn't put up with it any longer at all. It looked shocking!! :thumbdown:

People at work found it was hilarious tho....

(oh, and brakes have always squeeked on mine, and pretty much every car i've owned come to think of it. Maybe its because i live near the sea as well lol).

Last edited:
has anyone got pics of this 'melting'?

Im also sick to death of squeaking brakes, under 30mph and they squeak like crazy!

has anyone got pics of this 'melting'?

Im also sick to death of squeaking brakes, under 30mph and they squeak like crazy!

I'm sure there are pics on here somewhere.....its pretty obvious once it starts tho.

Starts off looking like the wheel has 'flattened' or worn in one area and the perforated holes start to disappear or melt into one.

Then it starts to raise up.

Then bubble and melt and all sorts of nastiness.

Then it you really have a bad one it will peel and split as well.

Mine did all of the above!