Megane gearbox

lol, i may not be a man and not know as much as most of the members on here but i do know it is a megane gearbox what was fitted. When TT (Tameside Transmissions) first mentioned about putting a megane gearbox in i was unsure as unlike a lot of people i haven't got a clue about gearboxes, my thoughts were the car being a clio i would need a clio gearbox, i was assured the megane gearbox would be fine and the different ratio's explained to me !!
was it a straight forward swap do you know, or did TT have to do modifying to the meg gearbox to make it fit? I may be interested in having same done if the pro's outweigh the cons lol. Also what are the revs now at 70 in 6th and does your 197 still feel as quick through the gears as before? Sorry for all the Q's lol

Last edited:
a couple of noticable differences are on the positive side, when i was in 6th gear with the clio gearbox the car sounded like i still needed another gear, now its a lot quieter and smoother but with the clio gearbox cruising along in 6th i could still put my foot down and pick up speed straight away but with the megane gearbox cruising in 6th gear i can put my foot to the floor but it doesnt pick up more speed straight away, like i said i dont no the technical details but i do know what TT told me and i drive my clio everday and know the difference !!

Does it feel slower with the longer ratios?? What rpm are you at say 80mph out of curiosity dude?

gonna make myself sound like the dumb girl a lot of people have got me down for but not even looked at the rpm (i will make sure i take note in future). Haven't noticed any difference in lower gears but in my opinion it does't feel as powerful in the higher gears !! Not sur if im helping at all !!

lol my 6 year old daughter is sat next to me trying to work out what im writing about, told her some people think i dont know anything because im a girl, her answer was "you know everything you need to know !".

"you know everything you need to know !".

LOL - the things kids come out with :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like its doing the job well for the everyday commute, lower rev's will give you better economy too :smiley: It would be handy to know what rev's it at in 6th @ 70mph, as you say, the standard 197 always feels like it needs an extra gear on the motorway :worried:

Lol bless her. I'm sure you do no what your on about. Be interesting to know what rpm it sits at on motorway speeds etc. Car looks nice by the way :smile:

Lol sorry, that comes across as being proper geeky!! Just interested lol! You had the gearbox long?

lol if i was a man dont think there would have been half of the comments asking if i was sure about it being a megane gearbox !!

lol if i was a man dont think there would have been half of the comments asking if i was sure about it being a megane gearbox !!

Are you sure you are sure!?!?!? :-p

Well as long as you are happy with it that is the main thing. Hopefully it will prove more reliable for you! TBH I don't think I would want a longer 6th, it doesn't pull strongly ATM - lower RPM and taller ratios wouldn't be something I want.

Each to their own tough :smile:

Ha well people shouldnt assume or they should read the threads properly, i said i had a megane gearbox 6 speed.

i love my clio, i dont use it for track so all i wanted was it back on the road asap, i was nearly in tears when the AA man towed it off, to me it looks good, the gearbox works fine so i am happy :smile:

I don't think I would want a longer 6th, it doesn't pull strongly ATM - lower RPM and taller ratios wouldn't be something I want

Absolutely, the just feels like it needs to be changed up a gear - shame they could'nt squeeze in a 7th gear purely for cruising on the motorway :smile: