Megane Engine ECU

Hi guys,

I'm intending to put a Megane 250 Engine into my Clio 197.
I tried finding information on the ECU required and compatibility but I could not find any or missed it somewhere.

What I want to know is if I use the 250 ECU will all the dash components work like the r26 225/230 ecu?

I'm in the middle of doing the same conversion, the 250 ecu will not work. You need a 225 ecu, as long as it's a euro4 ecu RS Tuning can swap the immobiliser over from your clio ecu and it will work.
I have 2 megane ecus if you need one.
If you need other advice etc give me a shout.

Thanks for the info dude!
Just wondering, will all the electronics work with the 225 ecu and will that ecu work for the 250?

@ashe - yes all electronics will work, and if done properly there should be no warning lights on the dash.

Also, bear in mind the fueling system when doing this conversion. The clio fuel pump is fine (up to a point) when using the megane 225/230 engine, but ideally when running the megane 250 engine you really should think about uprating the fuel pump. The megane 250 fuel pump won't fit into the clio tank, but there are a few alternatives I'm currently looking into.

Last edited:
Do you have a 250 pump at hand mate?

wondering what the part nr is! On the black bit of the pump itself

Do you have a 250 pump at hand mate?

wondering what the part nr is! On the black bit of the pump itself

no, I didn't bother in the end, I'm sticking with the 197 fuel pump (good for up to 310bhp as long as I use 630cc injectors). Your 197 pump will be fine with your 225 engine, the garage doing my conversion put a 250 engine into a 225, if you like I can find out what fuel pump they used on his.

I've been told the only thing you gain is slightly better internals, you do not get vvt which the 250 engine has and the 225 ecu cannot be made to use this.
ive just had mine mapped and was talking to the tech. That's his words, your cheaper to forge the 225 engine if you want to go over 300 safely

Yeah the 250 can handle 360ft lb torque on the standard bottom end, and the turbo is better too. 225 ecu can run vvt as a Spanish company have done it, but they're being very cagey as to how they did it. It's obviously easier to find a 225 engine but they're all 10 years old now. I got my complete 29k 250 engine for the same price as 225 engines were selling for so it made sense.