Meg 225 gearbox on Clio 200 engine

N0ddie

Platinum Member
Is this a straight fit?

The 200 box will eventually give up the go again so as a preemptive move should it happen out of warranty I'm looking at sticking a Meg box in as its replacement. I dont wanna waste money buying a new 200 gearbox when it'll be getting changed for a Meg one come conversion time, so sticking a Meg one in seems the sensible option?

I know the ratios are slightly longer in the Meg box so acceleration would suffer but surely wouldn't be too bad? Could also take the opportunity to fit a diff at the same time (As the R26 boxes with diffs are hard to come by).

Is this a straight fit?

The 200 box will eventually give up the go again so as a preemptive move should it happen out of warranty I'm looking at sticking a Meg box in as its replacement. I dont wanna waste money buying a new 200 gearbox when it'll be getting changed for a Meg one come conversion time, so sticking a Meg one in seems the sensible option?

I know the ratios are slightly longer in the Meg box so acceleration would suffer but surely wouldn't be too bad? Could also take the opportunity to fit a diff at the same time (As the R26 boxes with diffs are hard to come by).

It will fit mate you will need megane shafts and linkage too and a mount

The ratios are a fair bit longer, so personally I would only do it short term.

For example 70 in 6th is about 2300rpm in a megane. Whereas its about 3500 in a 200.

Why not get the 200 box strengthened to be able to cope with extra power n torque??
Surely this can be done for a similar costing??

Why not get the 200 box strengthened to be able to cope with extra power n torque??
Surely this can be done for a similar costing??

you could get the gears shot peened, which would add strength, but how much wouuld be questionable.

I guess it depends which part of the box is the weak link.

Someone did look into a replacement gearset that was stronger, but i think it ended up being thousands and thousands of pounds.

you could get the gears shot peened, which would add strength, but how much wouuld be questionable.

I guess it depends which part of the box is the weak link.

Someone did look into a replacement gearset that was stronger, but i think it ended up being thousands and thousands of pounds.

i think its more to do with bearings then the actual gear set...