Maybe its H&R spring time?

vivid white

Platinum Member
Have been replacing the pads and giving the brakes a good clean this morning and noticed my front drivers side spring has taken a turn for the worse.

Not sure whether you can see it in the photo or not but I think its probably a good excuse to get H&R Springs.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335002208935.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335002208935.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 108
Lucky. My mum had to be recovered by a flatbed when the spring snapped on their fiesta.

Yeah definitely going to look into H&Rs now as its something I have wanted to do anyway.

Me and Dad are deciding whether to give fitting them a go ourselves or not!? Experiences anyone?

Thanks

Rear ones are simple, theres is a good how to guide on here.

Fronts take a bit longer, I used a how to guide written I think by Benw, although we got to the part where it said we had to drop the subframe and we said ' we ain't doing that' so we took the whole spring and damper assembly out leaving the hub still on the car. Took about 5hrs to do the lot.

You could do it yourself but a ramp is a massive help, i started to do mine jacked up and stopped half way. also you want to hope that every nut/bolt/metal isnt rusted solid like mine was :blink:

You could do it yourself but a ramp is a massive help, i started to do mine jacked up and stopped half way. also you want to hope that every nut/bolt/metal isnt rusted solid like mine was :blink:

the bloke who fitted my springs said the longest part of the job was removing rusted nuts and bolts

Thanks for all the replies.

Im afraid to say I havent gone down the H&R route but instead brought Fernandez cup springs he had for sale.

Will be fitting them at the weekend (weather permitting) and I have got to admit I am not looking forward to it after reading the 'how to' guide haha.

James

You dont actualy need to remove the hub from the driveshaft or drop the subframe as some guides suggest. You can remove the complete front spring assembly from the hub carrier with gentle persuasion from a copper mallet. There is not a lot of room but it is possible and not as hard asas it sounds

You dont actualy need to remove the hub from the driveshaft or drop the subframe as some guides suggest. You can remove the complete front spring assembly from the hub carrier with gentle persuasion from a copper mallet. There is not a lot of room but it is possible and not as hard asas it sounds

How did you manage that? When I changed the springs on my 07 plate full fat there was still about 5cm of strut in the hub when the wishbone hit the subframe, no amount of persuasion with a mallet was getting that out!

The hardest bit is deff removing corroded bolts! Getting the strut out is alright, it lowers enough to just be pulled out.

Just have two new arb drop link ready as thel be going in the bin!

How did you manage that? When I changed the springs on my 07 plate full fat there was still about 5cm of strut in the hub when the wishbone hit the subframe, no amount of persuasion with a mallet was getting that out!

we had the car jacked as high as possibly safe so that it could drop all the way. To get the extra few cm we put the steering on full lock which have us just enough room to prise it out.

We decided to 'make a start' on the spring transplant tonight and we have managed the get the struts off the car, taken the old springs off and are ready to put the new ones on in the morning and put everything back together. :thumbup:

It hasn't been as bad as we had expected (so far). Still got the rears to do tomorrow as well.