Matching the inlets on the 197?

Raptor6767

Gold Member
Pros/cons?

Any (noticable) gains?

And if there are any gains how do they manifest? Throttle response, bhp gains, torque,...?

I'm thinking about doing it but I don't want to waste £170.

Tnx 4 the info!

some more then others, every cars different n react dif 2 the mod. All it does is remove a restriction in the manifold n keeps the air/fuel flowin better. In the end u get it done u know the engin set up 2 its full standard efficency.

I've used a search function and found out that the matched inlets really do the difference.

It's not clear how big are the gains but they exist. I am keen on believing that any difference that is noticeable is big enough.

polishing and porting is what u want mate basically the same ase matching but they polish the top and bottom inlets inside. also get ure engine pressure tested so ure not losing any power

i would think that you should have an freer flowing exhaust before you do this too. Remember; more air in, more air out :tongueout:

i would think that you should have an freer flowing exhaust before you do this too. Remember; more air in, more air out :tongueout:

I have:

catcams '2
clio v6 ph2 airbox with KTR panel filter
Miltek exhaust with 100cell sportcat
lightweight flywheel

I wouldn't have thought any major gains were available from the exhaust? From what I have read the OE mani and cats are pretty free flowing, and gains from a cat back tend to be negligable.

I wouldn't have thought any major gains were available from the exhaust? From what I have read the OE mani and cats are pretty free flowing, and gains from a cat back tend to be negligable.

That you are quite right.

For my mods check my sig.

The clio's intake manifold are quite okay however with the APD matched intake manifold, I found that the port size has increased quite a bit compared to OE.

The exhaust manifold however is very good "supposedly" as I have never dismantled it... yet.

The Clio has 2 catalytics converters (ref: pre-cat , cat). The stock exhaust is quite free flowing on OE. Usually the cat that is replaced is the 2nd cat after the pre-cat. From the many testimonies from doing this, inc myself, you will actually find that there will be a "dead spot" around 2300-3000 rpm.

I found that after installing the APD matched intake manifolds, that dead spot was removed/minimized significantly - this is from regular and spirited driving. I will find out more when I dyno, but the difference is there, and I especially feel that the car revs easier.

That you are quite right.

For my mods check my sig.

The clio's intake manifold are quite okay however with the APD matched intake manifold, I found that the port size has increased quite a bit compared to OE.

So you have also ported the manifolds? Not only polish & matching?

TNX 4 the feedback. :jump1:

matching inlets is a good way to gain 4- 5 hp at flywheel i would spend the extra 200 and get the whole thing done though as it saves stripping the engine down twice. u thought about a bigger throttle body?

matching inlets is a good way to gain 4- 5 hp at flywheel i would spend the extra 200 and get the whole thing done though as it saves stripping the engine down twice. u thought about a bigger throttle body?

You mean head porting when you say "the whole thing"?

Yes, I was thinking about the bigger TB but don't know which one to use and how would it perform - and of course - there's always the price issue. :smiley:

Baby steps...baby steps...:smiley:

A few pictures of mine before I changed them for a set of APD's

http://clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3573

My cars yet to be re-mapped but I'm not going to bother till the new K-Tec ECU is released.

I saw that thread when I was searching the forum - it has made me think really seriously of doing it.

I have heard with a man who does such things and he has already done 2 197 (but they did other modifications at the same time so they can't objectively say anything about the gains from the matched inlets) but he has time only in November.

Well, you got our testimonies! All the best :smile:

You probably will see more with a remap and indeed we are looking forward to K-Tec ECU. Hear its gonna be done end of oct 10.

Matching inlets = small gain in mid range throttle response, but IMO no extra power.

Acts very similar to working the step out of the throttle body.

Matching inlets = small gain in mid range throttle response, but IMO no extra power.

Acts very similar to working the step out of the throttle body.

It makes sense to me. I thought it only made difference in the throttle response but have no proof because a lot of ppl did their inlets together with other mods so there are no dyno results.

So there is a difference with the working out the step out of the TB? I thought there was no difference.

Why did they make the TB like that then? I mean Renault.

And another thing - did anyone tried to fit another TB - I remember I've read something about an Audi TB fitted on the 197...somewhere...

There was a developement thread about fitting a bigger Audi TB but it died.

I think the std one can flow more than enough anyway.