Matched inlets

oh my inlet matching is a waste unless ure doing other mods i bet you gain 2BHP peak max. polishing and porting is what you should be looking at mate.

oh my inlet matching is a waste unless ure doing other mods i bet you gain 2BHP peak max. polishing and porting is what you should be looking at mate.

ive ported and polished my OEM throttle body.

But if im charging her i will be retaining the standard inlet manifold woant i.

PTFE gaskets do anything really?

Apart from take 1hr to fit and take £40 out of you back burner? lol

Jamsport do a very good job. Had all my work done there. Worth getting with at least a remap tho, you'll get the benefits out of them.

Just depends on how much you want to spend mate, inlets will just free it up a bit and give a bit better mid, top end etc. imo its one of these mods that should be done with others to get the benefits. Just makes the drivability nicer.

ptfe gaskets just stop heat transfer through the inlet plenum. waste of dosh again mate, polished and ported TB yeah dont know how much difference that makes (i tries that too), imagine it on a larger scale on ure inlet manifold though :smile:

I got mine done by Craig at APD, top service, I would definitely recommend him.

I might have a spare inlet mani if you want to buy it, or get mine matched and let me have yours when you get it back.

Craig's view seemed to be that there is little to gain from messing with the TB, but he claims 10BHP from his inlets, not necessarily at peak though. Haven't had chance to get mine back on the rollers yet though.

Jamsport did mine back in the days without any other mods on my car and although its more of a background mod for sure it certainly aided throttle response mid range.

Despite what everyone seems to think here there are other ways to improve the car without 'big valve heads' i keep hearing about.

As for PTFE gaskets, plug a monitor into the OBD and record inlet temps before and after fitting, I got a 2 degree intake drop, minimal but still an improvement nethertheless.

As for inlets, it seams it depends where you go.

Ive always had positive feedback from the ones I do, whilst others claim to see 0-2bhp. We are yet to have solid power figures for advertising, put preliminary tests show circa 8bhp peak with a gain of upto 10bhp midrange.

Ive said it many times before, "matched inlets" is used too generically and loosly. IF people are JUST simply matching the port joints, then im not suprised there are such little gains floating about. There is ALOT of work to do from the entrance to mid-way up the port, on both sides.
Gains in power come from gains in airflow, which is about reducing energy losses through transition in shape/profile, removing a lip in a joint plays a relatively small port in this (especially so in the RS3).

why do people alway look at top line, "its a waste because i only gained 2bhp at peak power" its all about drivability mine made quite a sufficent gain throught out the rev range, even matt at tdf when mapping showed me where the benefit were from the match inlets.

but that graph is with also the inlets opened up as well i think

They were matched & ported...Take a look @ the torque...a big difference - not at the peak power but mid/low torque.

And, like Grumpy wrote - the power holds all to the red line.

Ppl usually make a mistake by not taking in mind the whole powerband and it's curve.

Last edited: