197: MAP sensor broken = ESP light and no brake servo?!?!

tomislavp4

Paid Member
So the plan for today was to put some sealant around the MAP sensor. There are threads all over with people doing this and noticing a difference so why not right? I'll tell you why. Because the damn sensor can break and part of it will end up in the manifold, that's why!

So I spent an hour getting the manifold off, looking for the piec of the sensor and putting everything back together. Then I got in the car and started the engine. It runs rough and the check engine-light is on, as expected, but it's driveable.

What is strange to me is that even the ESP light is on and that the brake servo doesn't seem to work on low RPMs. Can someone explain to me how the brakes are connected to the sensor? Or did I get two separate issues at once?

is the sensor still broken....could be an air leak from it
The sensor is still broken, yes. The tip that goes in the hole is broken off so air is indeed leaking through the hole in the manifold. But still, why would the intake/injection system have an impact on the ESP and brake servo?

Edit: never mind, found the answer. There's a vacuum pipe from the intake manifold to the brake servo so no vacuum in the intake = no brake servo.

Last edited:
The sensor is still broken, yes. The tip that goes in the hole is broken off so air is indeed leaking through the hole in the manifold. But still, why would the intake/injection system have an impact on the ESP and brake servo?

Edit: never mind, found the answer. There's a vacuum pipe from the intake manifold to the brake servo so no vacuum in the intake = no brake servo.

exactly!

New sensor is on it's way. In the meantime I put a plug in the hole to restore vacuum and the brake servo is functional again, which is nice. Car drives like it has a 0,9 liter engine but at least it's driveable. Driving it like this shouldn't cause any problems right? There's no misfires or anything like that.

New sensor is on it's way. In the meantime I put a plug in the hole to restore vacuum and the brake servo is functional again, which is nice. Car drives like it has a 0,9 liter engine but at least it's driveable. Driving it like this shouldn't cause any problems right? There's no misfires or anything like that.

will be running in a limp mode as the sensor isnt working so will be running sort of "safe" but i wouldnt take it on any long journeys

Did you find the tip from the sensor? Iv done the sames today,trued removing the sensor only to break,then the tip fell into the manifold,I removed manifold but couldn’t find tip! New sensor on way much to my bloody frustration