Manifold symptoms

What are the symptoms of the manifold cracking? Does it go very loud like immediately or does it kind of grow on? the reason I'm asking, there is something wrong with my car, between 4200rpm - 4700rpm I can feel / hear the engine note is a little different.... dont know if that could be the manifold cracking and blowing a little or something else... appreciate your help!

as you say will start off sounding slightly strange and not that loud depending on where its starting to go...

they can crack on the branches coming from the cylinder head and can also start to blow from the 2 flexis on the down pipe - not always east to see!!

I think mine is blowing on one of the flexi pipes. Does anyone know if these can be replaced without replacing the entire manifold? if so, how much? Renault want £600 for a new manifold!

I think mine is blowing on one of the flexi pipes. Does anyone know if these can be replaced without replacing the entire manifold? if so, how much? Renault want £600 for a new manifold!

ebay - tony banks exhaust - approx £200

thanks for your onput, is it an engine out job to get the manifold removed, I took a look at it with a mirror and it looks like the middle two of the pipes have a black surround while the external ones look just normal, looks like the middle ones are the cracked ones then I guess...

thanks for your onput, is it an engine out job to get the manifold removed, I took a look at it with a mirror and it looks like the middle two of the pipes have a black surround while the external ones look just normal, looks like the middle ones are the cracked ones then I guess...

its not an engine out job mate,you remove it from underneath so the subframe has to come off though,my manifold cracked a few weeks back so i had it removed and welded,i did the same as you and used a mirror and a torch to check,it didn't appear that bad and i thought it was just cracked on the 1st/passenger side cylinder,it turned out when the mechanic got it off it was cracked nearly all the way round on cylinder 1,half way round on cylinder 2 and a quarter of the way round on cylinder 3

just have a check of your engine mounts mate,cracking of the manifold is quite common but i feel my engine mounts were tired and contributed to the mani cracking so i uprated them all

You can simulate the experience of being in the car whilst idling by sitting on an old washing machine on a long cycle :smiley:

How much were the uprated engine mounts Scott. How are they now you have them fitted?

the mounts are slightly cheaper if you buy all 3 angel,should have been £399 but i paid £365

i have to say i love them,they make the car feel very racey,there was alot of vibration at first,it was -5 degrees when they were fitted though and coupled with the fact that they were brand new its no surprise,they've settled a bit now,still get some vibration on start up and tick over but as soon as your driving along you'd never know,the car just seems a lot more solid,which i suppose in a way it is,

they are quite harsh don't get me wrong but i'd highly recommend them

its not an engine out job mate,you remove it from underneath so the subframe has to come off though,my manifold cracked a few weeks back so i had it removed and welded,i did the same as you and used a mirror and a torch to check,it didn't appear that bad and i thought it was just cracked on the 1st/passenger side cylinder,it turned out when the mechanic got it off it was cracked nearly all the way round on cylinder 1,half way round on cylinder 2 and a quarter of the way round on cylinder 3

just have a check of your engine mounts mate,cracking of the manifold is quite common but i feel my engine mounts were tired and contributed to the mani cracking so i uprated them all

the mounts are slightly cheaper if you buy all 3 angel,should have been £399 but i paid £365

i have to say i love them,they make the car feel very racey,there was alot of vibration at first,it was -5 degrees when they were fitted though and coupled with the fact that they were brand new its no surprise,they've settled a bit now,still get some vibration on start up and tick over but as soon as your driving along you'd never know,the car just seems a lot more solid,which i suppose in a way it is,

they are quite harsh don't get me wrong but i'd highly recommend them

Sounds good. Where did you get them from? And roughly how many hours to change the manifold?

got the mounts from a company called C and R Enterprises,these are the guys that sell them on ebay,i rang them to order though as i wanted to know if i got money off if i bought all 3

Tel - 0155 9785740

with the mani,i had my brakes stripped,clean and lubed,plus engine and gearbox oil done at the same time so i'm not 100% sure on time but i think the mechanic said he spent roughly 5 hours doing the manifold

probably doesn't help but i know the same mechanic spent 5 hours fitting the Y pipe,he never removed the mani to do that though

Last edited:
That's great, cheers mate.

I'll get a set ordered. Should have manifold this coming week. Makes sense to change the engine mounts at the same time

That's great, cheers mate.

I'll get a set ordered. Should have manifold this coming week. Makes sense to change the engine mounts at the same time

it does that,i was just a couple of weeks to late,:worried:

plus point though,if we decide to go the meg route these will still fit,:wink:

got the mounts from a company called C and R Enterprises,these are the guys that sell them on ebay,i rang them to order though as i wanted to know if i got money off if i bought all 3

Tel - 0155 9785740

with the mani,i had my brakes stripped,clean and lubed,plus engine and gearbox oil done at the same time so i'm not 100% sure on time but i think the mechanic said he spent roughly 5 hours doing the manifold

probably doesn't help but i know the same mechanic spent 5 hours fitting the Y pipe,he never removed the mani to do that though

I bet you mean the place at nottingham, so it'll be 0115 9785740, i bought my alfa mounts from them, a vw place.

fell apart completely, now the car is loud as hell and grounded, booked to get it fixed on tuesday, will also change the engine mounts to the oem ones for now, installing cup chassis dampers with eibach springs at the same time as well,

whats the hours needed for the removal and refitting the manifold?

i'd say about 5 hours including welding,i can't be 100% sure though as i had other work done at the same time

i was charged 10 and a half hours labour to,

change engine + gearbox oil
strip,clean and lube brakes (all 4)
fit 3 engine mounts
strip,weld and refit manifold

you might be able to work it out better than me from that

thanks all! the car is fixed, done the mounts and changed to cup dampers and eibach springs at the same time, what a difference that made to the car, transformed it completely, also a lilbit quieter :wink: