200: Man Maths...Am I looking at this right?!

Right

As you allllll know I've been unsure as to what i want to do with regards to the 200.

Im still very much torn with the car. I love it but am mighty scared that one day itll cost me a small fortune. Id like nothing more than to keep it and Meg it eventually the same as James has done, but the history of CL10 FTW is a little tainted to say the least.

At time of purchase i was 21, at home with mum and dad and didnt see much change in the next 4 years of my life. Fast forward 3 years and im in rented accomodation with the misses (wanting a house of my own), and have a car that is rapidly losing value and has had major warranty work carried out.

Clio 200 with options was nigh on £20,000, yes i know thats a lot of money, but its a lot of car and i still look back at it everytime i walk away when parked up.

0% finance over 4 years. 3 years warranty (had my fair share of work). £4,000 deposit.

To keep the numbers easy, I'll do it as if we are at the end of year 3, Feb 2014.

If i was to sell now;

£4,000 deposit + 36 monthly payments of £324.00 = £4,000 + £11,664 = £15,664 Total Paid. £3,888 Outstanding.

Car would be worth, what, £10,000 in February? So £10,000 - £3,888 = £6112 in my pocket to go straight towards the house fund. PLUS the £325 i was paying a month.

Keep to sell at end of loan period;

£4,000 deposit + 48 monthly payments of £324.00 = £4,000 + £15,552 = £19,552 Total Paid. £0 Outstanding.

Car would be worth, what, £8,000 if im lucky? So I've paid another £3,888 for another year on the Clio, which is now not under warranty and worth a few grand less than it was a year ago.

This all went away because i wanted the Clio for the Euro trip, and loved every single mile. The way it handles the mountains was awesome. But now im home again its going to waste. Too and from my liftshare morning and evening and then one week, with 4 adults, for 350 miles....its not the car for commuting in really.

Help!! What do i do?!

Im back at college now so doing another 100miles a week. The way i look at it, if i buy a car from my positive equity, after two years of driving something cheap to college id be alot better off what with selling the car now and not having the monthly payments.

A house is my ultimate goal right now.

Sell and buy a house. Get a cheap car for the commute and if ya miss the 200 then get a 172 for sh!t and giggles.

I've gone down the cheap motor route at the moment and bought a Mazda 2 for doing the commute as I do around 30k a year so the 200 is just sat on somebodies drive. I still can't bring myself to sell it and for time being its here to stay and use for the weekend miles.

But if I had the choice of clio v bricks and mortar. Then buying a house would be my choice all day long, it is a better long term investment than a car. When I come to move house then the 200 may go depending on how the budget is looking. In 2003 I bought a brand new TT, car was around £26k and there was a 2 bed house on next street to work for the same price. Fast forward 2 years house = £105k, my TT = £10k. Big mistake!

I think you've answered your own question with your last line there mate. I saw your thread on PH about the Eurotrip and it looked brilliant, what an experience. If you like you could look at it that maybe that was the encore for FTW and now it's time to let her go with good memories and adventures behind her? It's funny how we get attached to these little tin boxes, how a car or a bike can stir emotions and we develop a bond with them. It plays with your rationale.

It'd be a shame to see you out of a Clio and I'd like to think you'd stick around on here even if she did go. But, ultimately if you're set on getting on the property ladder then that £325 per month you pay for her is a massive amount towards a mortgage. There will always be the chance to get back in a Clio or any other hot car further down the line and by then you'll probably be picking a 200 up for £6,000... Then you can justify Meg'ing it a bit more hahaha!!! :smiley:

It certainly was the encore for the clio, thats why i wanted to keep it and not do it in something that i wished was the clio.

as you say, £325 is prob half the mortgage! In two years id have saved a fair whack by not having the clio so the cheap hack looks like its the way forward....cars can come later once ive settled within the housing market and know my outgoings! Meg'd 200 would be cost effective then for sure!

Ahhh mate im in the same boat all though mine is older but as much as i dont want to move on i have too. i still look back everytime i walk past her and smile :smile: but we have to do what we have to do. We are looking at buying a house next year after the wedding so saving on average £200 a month is helpfull.

you can always do what im doing and go the seat FR route. double the milage and still 170bhp and 250odd lb/ft of torque standard :wink:

Well funny you should say that is being offered a Ibiza Cupra Tdi is whats spurred this on. But i think id be happier in a BMW 330ci with money spare.

I think you've answered your own question with your last line there mate. I saw your thread on PH about the Eurotrip and it looked brilliant, what an experience. If you like you could look at it that maybe that was the encore for FTW and now it's time to let her go with good memories and adventures behind her? It's funny how we get attached to these little tin boxes, how a car or a bike can stir emotions and we develop a bond with them. It plays with your rationale.

It'd be a shame to see you out of a Clio and I'd like to think you'd stick around on here even if she did go. But, ultimately if you're set on getting on the property ladder then that £325 per month you pay for her is a massive amount towards a mortgage. There will always be the chance to get back in a Clio or any other hot car further down the line and by then you'll probably be picking a 200 up for £6,000... Then you can justify Meg'ing it a bit more hahaha!!! :smiley:

Agree with this. Your last line answered the question - just means taking the plunge and actually doing it.

If it was me id look for every reason to hold on to the car, i couldn't bare poodling around in a micra (or something similar) while trying to save money.

The GF finishes uni in 3 years (long course...) and we will be looking to get somewhere. If i didnt get a meg the least i'll settle for is keeping the Clio but id have the same worry as you, warranty is up, could i end up with some hefty payments...

Good luck with whatever route you choose to take :smile:

I sold my R27 to take on a leager mortgage and bought the zs tdci. The monthly repayments are the same but instead of £70 per week in fuel I now pay £50 every 3 weeks in fuel, plus the £20 tax is a bonus lol.

For me, bricks and mortar will always come first and im trying to do what Andy said on his reply, im saving for a 182 for weekend blasts :smile:

I feel your pain.

I wouldn't buy a diesel though, IMO it's too much of a step down and you'll just hate yourself. My mate went from a 182 Cup to a Fabia Vrs and he hates it.

Don't be tempted to sell and just buy a £1k snotter. You don't know when you'll be able to buy something half decent especially if you have a big mortgage to pay.

Just too say you wouldn't have 6k for a deposit as you would have to fund another car purchase. 3-4k ??

This may seem daft but if you do bugger all mileage and there is just the two of you why not get a twizy?

You could just about get it outright from the 200 and you would just have the battery rental which is around £40pcm iirc.

It cost you around £5 a week to fill doing that mileage and it's free tax and around £200 to insure when I got a quote.

You would still have your £350 payments and what you save on tax and petrol in a year would see you the 2k you spent extra.