Machine Polisher Advice Please.

I'm looking to buy a machine polisher for my car. I have absolutely no idea which one to buy. I have a budget of £50-£80 including all the pads with it. Which one would you recommend or have used before? Also if you could recommend a decent polish to go with it, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Look at a kestrel Das6 but it will be top end of your budget.

you will get loads of differing ideas on pads and compound.

You won't get much for that budget to be honest.

The pads can be quite pricey (around £8 each), and you'll want at least one polishing and finishing pad, maybe a cutting pad too. You'll find everyone has their favourite brand.

As for a machine polisher, there are two types. A rotary polisher is cheaper and more effective, but there is more risk of damaging paintwork. A dual-action polisher is more expensive, but easier to handle and you don't run the same risk of damaging your paint. For a DA polisher, you're looking upwards of £80 for something like Mentalpen has mentioned above.

If you're willing to accept you won't get anything (new) for that price and you're prepared to up your budget, then I'd be looking at an all-inclusive kit like they do on www.cleanyourcar.co.uk (whichever brand).

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to go for a dual action one. As you say the rotary ones may cause damage, which knowing me, would probably happen. Can be quite heavy handed with things. I'm currently bidding on a used kestrel DAS6 on eBay with pads included and some polish, so hopefully will get that. Once again thanks for the advice.

You won't get much/anything new for your budget including pads. Like Cl10 said there are two main types 'DA' and Rotary. There are a LOT of scare stories around rotaries, but most are internet rumour by people who've never used a Rotary, with the way some people talk about them you would like they're some sort of paint destroying angle grinder! But it also works the other way, as DA people will tell you a Rotary can ruin your paint, Rotary people will tell you that you can't get good results with a DA. Neither is necessarily true.

If you've got half a brain cell and spend the time to do a bit of research, you'll get better/easier results with a Rotary. Put it this way, if I were to buy one again it would be a rotary. (I have a DAS Pro6). BUT if you're looking to just get started, and aren't planning on doing a lot of heavy paint correction on lots of cars then a DA will do most/everything you need (albeit a bit slower and harder than a rotary).

Pad/Compound wise; Hex logic pads and Megs compound combo's have a good rep, So maybe Megs 101(or 105) and 205, with a Hex medium cut and a hex polish pad should do most of what you need. I'm using all Menzerna stuff at the moment, it get's the job done but I'm not too impressed with the pads (I've had two fail) so I'll be moving to Hex Logic pads soon.

I got the CYC DA6 and Meg's Microfibre system as it was my first go.

To be fair, with that combination, it's pretty hard to cock up. It's not an aggressive system but is good for getting fairly light scratches out and learning how to work your way round the car.

Yeah I've been doing my research too but wanted to get an idea of what people think is best/worth it for my use. In all honesty I don't have a lot of paint correction to do. Just a few swirl marks that I want to get rid of, nothing major. Yeah the more I'm looking into this, the more I realise that my budget will need to be upped. I've never used anything like this before, hence going for something easy to use and fool proof. Thanks the replies everyone.

Hex Logic pads are fine, I've used them on 3-4 cars and they're still effective. I use Scholl S17+ compound, for every stage to be honest, and really rate it.

Who knew keeping your car clean would be so expensive!

Meg's Microfibre system is the way to go. Plenty of videos on YouTube on the system and everything is there, so it works. It is important that you use the 5" system and the correct backing pad. 6" is too big for DA's