M25 Average Speed Roadwork Cameras

M25 between Barnet and Waltham Abbey (J22-26)

Only realised when I got off why everyone seemed to be going so slow.

does anyone have any experiences here or know if they generally work?

I read that if you switch lanes between cameras then they don't get you. Which I did. Wasn't speeding in normal terms but averages 70 which in a 50 is obviously speeding.

any insights are appreciated!

RV

They say none of them work.. Was a recent article on PH and in the mail etc. You'll most likely be fine. :smile:

the set speed limit is stipulated on the gantry above the road.

there is a speed camera roughly every 2 or 3 gantry's.

as above depends if they are switched on or not but switching lane is a myth imo.

2111363798_135bc25206.jpg

If you switched lanes then you'll be ok. When the home office tested then for legislation they only tested them and got them through the Lord's for single carriageway operation. Which means they can only legally enforce the speeding ticket if you stay in the same lane and you go through each pair of cameras in that lane.

If you search on the Home Office website you can find the document that proves this.

Last edited:
the set speed limit is stipulated on the gantry above the road.

there is a speed camera roughly every 2 or 3 gantry's.

as above depends if they are switched on or not but switching lane is a myth imo.

2111363798_135bc25206.jpg

Those are not average speed cameras though. They are used in "Variable Speed Limit Zones" whereby the speed limit can be adjusted. The fact that the speed limit has a red circle around it means its legally enforceable unlike the older style signs that are just an advisory speed limit.

The cameras on those in MP's picture are traditional rear facing ones that will take a picture if you are over the predetermined limit. These cameras are not on if the sign isnt on, luckily for me that is as I went through one with the sign off at an undisclosed speed on an empty motorway and it didn't go off, when I say undisclosed I was, shall we say moving very quickly.

Not sure what these cameras are set too but I've witnessed cars doing 90 through a 70 and, not once have they activated. Although I did go through one that was set at 50 on the M6 by mistake at 70. A Lexus overtook me at around 90 and it flashed him.

Last edited:
but do these flash thou? im pretty sure they wouldnt, so you wouldnt tell until you got your NIP.

but do these flash thou? im pretty sure they wouldnt, so you wouldnt tell until you got your NIP.

They do flash, seen it with my own eyes and if you look at them you can see the dirty big flash stuck on the side.

Again it all comes down to legislation and what's approved by the home office. Rear facing cameras always and will always use a flash until they test and approve otherwise. Front facing cameras use infrared as a traditional flash would be dangerous and so were tested and approved as such.

The testing, approval and subsequent legislation takes years and costs a lot of money so you can appreciate that only when the home office or department of transport has fully appraised new technology will they even move towards these stages

Last edited:
Not bad at all, everyone should have the opportunity to be aware of what is what. :smile:

just putting those gantry ones up on the M62 and they are set to say its 50 and there are signs up saying obey the gantry.

which is why i put it up.

they also have the yellow facing camera types.

These aren't the normal ones, they are the SPECS ones temporarily set up at 50mph due to the m25 improvement/roadworks. the lanes are also narrower.

new-specs-speed-camera-2.jpg

I averaged 70 instead of 50. they don't flash.

i Did read that the m"% cameras haven't worked since 2009 but not sure if it applies to these ones.

These aren't the normal ones, they are the SPECS ones temporarily set up at 50mph due to the m25 improvement/roadworks. the lanes are also narrower.

new-specs-speed-camera-2.jpg

I averaged 70 instead of 50. they don't flash.

i Did read that the m"% cameras haven't worked since 2009 but not sure if it applies to these ones.

Yes these are average speed, change lanes and you'll be ok but prob best not to do 70 again as they are there to protect the workforce. :smile:

Ive been through them before in the same place and always done 50, was just chatting away in my car and only realised when i came off!

I agree we need to protect the workforce, when they are actually working....

I have a valentine one radar detector (non gps) and some camera's are live some not both on the M1/M25 and M4 which I use imo.
I also have tomtom go live with gps speed with camera alerts, it pings at every speed camera gantry. I trust the Valentine as it goes mad 100mtrs before any live functioning camera and silent on others.
The valentine is brill imo. Had it for 4yrs now.

NB: *****Naturally, I never ever exceed the statutary UK speed limits!****

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stevoox Spotted 0
Big4244 Spotted 0
John1006 Spotted 0
Rogue Spotted 0
T Spotted 0