197: M.O.T Failure :(

Well chaps my car went in for its mot today and it failed! was kind of expected as id been warned by the garage when it had its service.

Basically, it could have been worse, i need to wiper blades and i need to sort the brakes.
This is where i come unstuck, im replacing the rear pads, simple.
The front brakes are inbalanced and im hoping a change of discs ands pads will sort this.
Then theres my handbrake, which needs tightening but at the same time the rear brakes are binding which i think could be the handbrake sticking on??

If theres anything you guys think i should be aware of while tackling these then it would be great to here it.

Also any recomendations on where to source the parts from? I can get front discs and rear pads for £110? is this a good price?

Thanks

Jay

Front brake balance may just be a case of doing a bit of maintenance to clean up the brakes, have a look in the how to section for a guide.

Doing the same on the rear may help with the binding brakes

dont just throw new parts on!

check the brakes first - they need a strip down/clean/lube first - the discs and pads may have plenty of life in them!!!!

the front pads seize in the calipers...

that would be my sugestion also. I need to do mine at some point as theyre squeeky buggers. Could also do with a bleed, but im just waiting till ive got my brembo stickers, so I can paint them while there off :smile:

the front discs are low anyway so i thought while its all off i may aswell do them. Am i right in thinking if im changing discs then its wise to change the pads too yea? il give them a good clean up at the back and hopefully this will work. ive been hearing a little squeal out the back for a while now (while off the brakes) so that will be the binding, just gota try work out whats not retracting properly.

You could just sand down the pads on a flat surface when you change the discs to allow them to re-bed in with the new discs. Ideally change the pads but it's added expense

dont just throw new parts on!

check the brakes first - they need a strip down/clean/lube first - the discs and pads may have plenty of life in them!!!!

the front pads seize in the calipers...

what do u mean by seized inthe calipers?

may as well replace them all and you will be fine again for the nxt 20,000 miles jobs a good 1

^^^ PAIN IN THE ARRRSE!!!

Took an hour to get my pins out and then another 15 minutes to get the pads out... In the end we went with the old ''smash the pad until it disintergrates'' method. Worked a treat, tired arms afterwards though. :smiley: Make sure whovere puts the new ones in for you uses plenty of Copperslip or similar so that it's a whole lot easier for you next time you need to change them.

Oh, and if you didn't already know then budget for new pins for the calipers (£40 ish for both sides), the old ones will most definately die during the pad removal.

looked at the brakes today and the fronts, as far as i can see, look fine, discs could do with changing soon but there not dead yet, and the pads are in better shape. I cant think of what might be causing the inbalanced braking? one thing il be checking tomorw is the pistons to see if any of the are seizing, anyone have any possible answers?
As for the pins, i wont be changing then at that price, il just be very careful getting them out, there designed to come out ok and come out ok they will lol.

Gave there rears a good clean up too but seemed kind of pointless seen as tho il be changing them tomoro lol ah well its all clean for me to crack on now.

poor braking and imbalanced braking as you are forcing the pad to move - it should move easily in the caliper

My car failed it's MOT for the same reason, front brakes looked fine from the outside, but when I eventually got the disc off the inside was completely shot! Massive amount of pitting and uneven wear one disc even had a chunk about the size of a finger nail and maybe 2mm deep missing. And the pad compound had started to come away from the backing plate on two. This was after 13500 miles.

All good now though :wink: