Looking to buy a 197

Well I bought the 197 and I'm pretty happy all round.

I do have a question though!

The car has poly engine mounts, toyo manifold and a decatted scorpion exhaust system.

There's a fair amount of vibration through the chassis, not so much when cruising, but at lower speeds and more so when cold than when warm.

The previous owner put this down to the poly engine mounts - so I was just curious as to whether this was normal?

Reactions: Marsch
Congratulations!

Yes, it's a well known "issue" with these mounts.

Ah!

Well at least that confirms the cause ... what would be the downside going back to more standard mounts?

Plus, what sort of costs would be involved to have them changed?

From what I know something called "kangarooing" or "bunny hopping". Which means the car may jump uneratically when you press the gas pedal. I'm still on standard mounts but don't have much of an issue with it. I mean I know about that hopping but it only happens to me when driving on very bad surface. In this case it has more to do with mine being very hard/stiff (Cup dampers with H&R springs) and it's not so easy to keep a constant pressure on the pedal when you're bouncing around. :laughing:

Besides that the standard mounts (especially the upper one) seems to wear out rather fast.

I've no clue about the cost to replace them with originals. Shouldn't be that much but I'd refrain from it actually. Except for you really can't get used to the vibrations.

It's a shame there's no intermediate mount that is better than standard but not as firm as the poly mounts, so the vibration is less.

I suspect yours are from Powerflex and they've two different versions in their programm. The yellow ones are for road use and should be a little softer than the black ones. Have a look which ones you've mounted.