Looking for the perfect car...

Hi guys,

In a few weeks we will be in a position to buy a 197, problem is the other half is very demanding... I have picked the car, she gets to pick exactly what one.

Basically we are looking at a 2007 onwards (ideally 2008) 197 with less than 40,000 miles. And not in silver. From my short time on here I know I dont want a cup.

Anything else I should be looking for / avoiding based on the above?

At risk of being lynched for being a biker, it is her than is getting the car in replacement of her 2009 1.4 Corsa D. Budget isn't really an issue hopefully, around 6.5 - 7.5k?

I have read the buyers guide, its fantastic! Certainly one of the best buyers/newbie guides I have seen on any forum! I was more after peoples opinions on what specs I should be looking for, whats hard to find etc.

You still not bought one yet mate lol!

Your budget seems fine mate, i can recommend the Recaros, just watch out for the bolsters wearing when you go to look at them and if they are 5 years old just make sure the cambelt has been replaced :smile:

A pair of balls? :innocent:

What is your budget?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

At risk of being lynched for being a biker, it is her than is getting the car in replacement of her 2009 1.4 Corsa D. Budget isn't really an issue hopefully, around 6.5 - 7.5k?

I have read the buyers guide, its fantastic! Certainly one of the best buyers/newbie guides I have seen on any forum! I was more after peoples opinions on what specs I should be looking for, whats hard to find etc.

Check here for current Clio's for sale on the site to get a understanding of what you can get for your budget.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Also consider if the car you are going to buy has had the appropriate work done for its age/mileage e.g cambelt/water pump etc etc.

But most of all make sure you get it in Black :wink:

£7.5k = very high spec 197 (a decent LY R27 probably *drool*) or a very low-spec 200, like mine (a cup). I'd get an R27 if I were you, I had one and loved it :smile:

You still not bought one yet mate lol!

Your budget seems fine mate, i can recommend the Recaros, just watch out for the bolsters wearing when you go to look at them and if they are 5 years old just make sure the cambelt has been replaced :smile:

Tell me about it! Bought myself a bike in the mean time beacuse I was bored of driving around in the worlds most boring ecobox. Although 33mpg is hardly economical!

Do you mean you don't want a cup chassis or you don't want a cup model?

Not 100% on what the Cup Chassis entails but I really don't think black plastics instead of colour coded stuff does the clio any favours so it's the cup model I am trying to avoid.

I part-exd my 29,000 mile R27 last week mate and that will prob be up for sale soon on there forecourt at approx £7500 - £8000 id guess

I part-exd my 29,000 mile R27 last week mate and that will prob be up for sale soon on there forecourt at approx £7500 - £8000 id guess

So in the time I have been looking to get one you have had one and sold one haha. What have you bought now?

Not 100% on what the Cup Chassis entails but I really don't think black plastics instead of colour coded stuff does the clio any favours so it's the cup model I am trying to avoid.

cup model poverty spec, cup chassis is the grey wheels, red calipers, slightly lower and stiffer suspension option for the normal 197.

I have a cup and I've just had all of the plastics colour coded so it looks nicer. Only cost £100 or so. It depends if you can live with a nastier interior and a lack of luxuries, to save 35kg or so... A cup would never be my first choice but they are considerably cheaper, and to me present better value than the FF. A 200 cup will be a noticeably better car to drive than a high spec 197 - little bit lighter and you get all the upgrades from the 197 to 200. At the end of the day you never buy an RS clio for luxury, it's all about the visceral driving thrills or some blurb like that :thumbup1:

Hi guys,

In a few weeks we will be in a position to buy a 197, problem is the other half is very demanding... I have picked the car, she gets to pick exactly what one.

Basically we are looking at a 2007 onwards (ideally 2008) 197 with less than 40,000 miles. And not in silver. From my short time on here I know I dont want a cup.

Anything else I should be looking for / avoiding based on the above?

Glad your going for a clio sport mate. You can get a 08 half decent spec 197 with less than 40,000 on the clock for around £7.5k

Or a FF spec 07 plate for same money.

Personally I recommend a FF. I've owned a 197cup and now a FF200 and I'm loving the extras I've got in the 200. Climate control, auto wipers and lights, color coded side mouldings, electric wing mirrors, cruise control. The list goes on mate. Oh and I think the centre console in a cup is appalling lol

Good luck with the hunt mate

£7.5k = very high spec 197 (a decent LY R27 probably *drool*) or a very low-spec 200, like mine (a cup). I'd get an R27 if I were you, I had one and loved it :smile:

Deff agree with this :wink: my other half drives mine and moans like hell about it (untill she says things like "some Audi driver tried cutting me up but I done him") and yes deff LY :smiley: