List of faults on a forgotten about 197

Typhoon

Paid Member
So.. about 2 years ago my clutch went on the 197 and it's been sat in the same place ever since.. so much so that the almost new AD08R's had sunken in to the ground and have deteriorated.

I have a list of issues that I've come across which still need addressing and wondered if anyone can shed some light.

1) The wipers will just randomly come on, do a few swipes and then stop randomly somewhere on the windscreen.

2) Keyless isn't working. New battery in the car and in the fob. You have to unlock and lock the car with the fob and when trying to start the car its saying it isn't detected. If you hold the key nearish to the reader then it will pick it up but won't detect it in general.

3) When diagnosing with CLiP, occasionally it'll say issue on the multiplex network, and then certain computers aren't found, then they are, then they aren't etc. Wondered if there's a specific component or part that might make this fail now and again. (Will attach screenshots)

4) I didn't realise the car didn't have oil in (0 bars) and started it, only for a minute or two and a little bit of white smoke appeared. However, I've now topped the oil up and although no smoke, there's a slight burning smell at the front of the engine. Any guesses off the top of your heads what this might be? It is absolutely filthy inside the engine bay still (although scuttle panel and drains have been sorted) but I can't imagine it being anything to do with dirt etc - suppose I'm after advice on where to look really? It does seem to be running ok with oil in it although can't really 'test' yet until the new clutch goes in.

I'll probably add to this list as I discover more and more issues but these are the ones on my to-do list that are still outstanding.

New clutch will probably go in once I've sorted all these issues.

Cheers!

CLIP1.jpgCLIP2.jpgCLIP3.jpg

Honestly you need to move your priority's to the engine and gearbox mostly the engine you might have a chance to save the engine if you get it taken down and checked otherwise you will fix everything else for the engine to let go. You might only have done light damage to the cams and crank but they need checked and if the engine is not right having good electrics is not going to make any difference unless you want to sit in the car and work the wipers and listen to the radio. Any car that's sitting or you don't know how it is checking for oil and water is a basic thing to do before starting, I feel sorry for you but the engine needs checked, compression/leak test sump opened to check the crank and see if metal is in the sump and the head checked maybe the timing belt done at the same time would be worth while to justify the timing work.

Reactions: RSRowe
I'll do a compression test tomorrow and check the sump but I don't feel like anything has been damaged personally but that'll be the way to find out.

Well the car according to you had no oil was the car saying that or was the oil warning light on with stop engine warning was there any oil on the dipstick, as for the Renault clip some computers are hard to communicate with and the clone clips are notorious for loosing connection the ignition computer can be communicated with when the ignition is full on but engine not running you can put the card in the slot and hold the power button for 5 seconds but I start the engine then stall it I think I had to keep my foot on the brake or clutch in this state to clear injection faults. As for the smoke if was wispy and dispersed it might have been moisture in the exhaust system sat for two years outside but if it hung in the air and was thick could be a head gasket or the like.

Well the car according to you had no oil was the car saying that or was the oil warning light on with stop engine warning was there any oil on the dipstick, as for the Renault clip some computers are hard to communicate with and the clone clips are notorious for loosing connection the ignition computer can be communicated with when the ignition is full on but engine not running you can put the card in the slot and hold the power button for 5 seconds but I start the engine then stall it I think I had to keep my foot on the brake or clutch in this state to clear injection faults. As for the smoke if was wispy and dispersed it might have been moisture in the exhaust system sat for two years outside but if it hung in the air and was thick could be a head gasket or the like.

Cheers for the reply mate.
The car said “Top-up oil level” and was 0 bars on the trip, however, it’s not bone dry in there and there is some minimal oil on the dipstick. I have now got some more so will drain whatever is left in there out and replace for fresh stuff.

The smoke was thin, a bit like a boiling kettle which doesn’t sound overly great but it did smell more like evaporating water.

I’d tried something earlier that someone had suggested about keeping the door open, holding power etc but still failing to find certain computers. I can’t stall it as there’s currently no clutch (or working one) in it yet. :-(

Right from that I don’t think there should be damage it was moisture in the exhaust system and most likely a cold day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it hadn't been started for a few months>2 years then of course you'd expect a little smoke to come out. I'd assume the engine is fine, drop any oil that's already in there, get it a new oil filter and refil with fresh oil. Start her up and allow to warm up and see how things are from there.

Also, if the battery had died due to it being sat for so long, it's probably a good idea to leave it charging using a trickle charger to ensure it's not damaged.

Do a general check on basic servcing things such as air filter, dipstick, all fluids and remove the coils/plugs and clean them/replace if required. Generally, if your car has sat in UK weather for 2 years not started, you'd expect a few things to have gone wrong.

Another place to note is the fuse box to the right of the battery box - sometimes moisture can creep up in here and cause some of the electrics to play silly buggers so have a gander there and ensure there is no moisture and reseat fuses etc. Check earths and any physically exposed connections that they have not corroded and give them a spray of contact cleaner if you have any - can't do any harm!

Hope this helps mate :smile: